Where to search for new horse?

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I am trying to search on the web for my new horse but each website as far as I can judge apart from Horse and Hound makes it very difficult.

I want to search for specific age range, height range, distance from my home, horse ability and possibly the breed.

I am fed up with scrolling through hundreds of unsuitable horses and then finding what seems a nice type and discovering the horse is in Outer Mongolia!

Which sites are the easiest to search on please?

Virtual ride on my new horse offered if I find it on a site you suggested.

Thanks

Goldenstar

Visit site
Word of mouth , Facebook I found my new one when his ad popped up over there >>> when I was playing on here .
Fatty was a horse and hound purchase as well H was on horse deals the others recently where word of mouth .

Meredith

Visit site
Thanks Goldenstar but unfortunately I don't get ads over there>> it is blank on my screen and the horse people I know are pretty much like me and keep their horses for ever, well almost, or ride huge hunters which is not what I need. I will try to spread the word but not sure how as I ride in a pretty closed community. However, onwards and upwards...

rachk89

Visit site
When I got mine I just got a list of livery yards in the area and went round them all asking if they knew of any horses for sale. Managed to find a place that I wasn't originally going to check as it was a riding school but the woman actually had loads of horses for sale too.

dixie

Visit site
Horsequest has a search facility. You can out in height range, age, price and area.

http://www.horsequest.co.uk/search

And you can save horses to a virtual stable.

Last edited:

Wheels

Visit site
I used an agent to source one for me, she finds the ones that aren't advertised - very happy with the service and the horse.

I used an agent Golden Vale Sport Horses

OldieButGoodie

Visit site
I found both of my lovely irish bred boys at dealers - first dealer has their own web site, was recommended by other liveries and was reasonably local to me (60 miles) and with the second dealer the advert came up on Facebook and she was about 250 miles away. Both dealers could deliver if wanted (first one delivered free of charge as she was on her way to a competition nearby). Being dealers though you have to put up with quite a bit of BS so take a horsey friend or instructor with you!

Meredith

Visit site
Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I will have to persevere.
Unfortunately I keep my horses at home. My home is over an hour from a motorway and locally I.e. within a 20 mile radius we have about 3 diy stables and a couple of hunter yards. That's about it. It took nearly a year to find my last horse and as I am getting older I do not want to spend that amount of time looking again.
I will try to see if I can find any dealers.
How do you find groups on Facebook please? I find the search useless as it keeps giving me groups in the USA!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Feeling your pain OP, I really do.

I searched for a whole eighteen months. Must've seen at least fifty horses in that time. Two I fell in love with and they broke my heart coz they both failed the vetting. Another two came on trial, but the chemistry just wasn't right. One of them tanked with me and frightened the pants off me.

I've been lied to, messed about, had my time wasted, been shown stuff that is grossly overpriced, lame/sick, and frankly dangerous; have also met just one or two thoroughly decent people who actually really wanted the best for their horses.

I'd all but given up of finding "the one".

Then a friend who'd backed a little mare in the spring said she's up for sale and why don't I have a peek. This one was everything I said I didn't want: youngster, coloured, mare, hairy-heels. She walked across the field towards me and her little face sniffed out at me and that was it, I was smitten! Oh dear.....

Sorry can't suggest anything to you OP then the advice I was constantly given and that was to just keep looking. There IS something out there for you, believe me I'd totally given up, and was pig-sick about it into the bargain, it really is a horrible process looking for a horse, a bit like speed-dating in the saddle.

Just a piece of advice: DO follow your instincts, if you don't feel something isn't right to get on then don't. Let them ride it first (I've still sat on stuff that I saw ridden first and then it tanked with me out on the ride :( ).

Take a friend with you, someone who knows you and the way you ride and will be able to stand back and look at the whole picture, and will be brutally honest if you feel you're getting carried away (easy to do).

Always have it vetted even if it looks OK. YOUR vet not the sellers! I saw one where the seller was very pushy to use her own vet, made it all seem sooohhh easy...... I suspected immediately something was up. Turned my back for five minutes and it started to windsuck. She hadn't told me about that! I walked away. Best is to tell the seller straight out that the horse must pass a Five-Stage vetting, no excuses. That way you're setting the standard and they know then that its no good trying to palm off something on you, tho' they'll try. If you can, have a quiet look at the horse when the owner has mebbe gone to fetch the saddle or something. Run your hands down the legs, around the girth-line, looking for lumps and bumps -surprising what you can find when the seller isn't around! Some will keep you talking to try and distract you. With one I saw, the seller was talking the hind leg off a donkey, like "this horse is a real Christian", yep, dead sure it was, it said its Rosary, Our Father, and went to confession every Sunday! Seller then went off as was "dying for a fag" and hey presto I found a splint, a windgall, and a nasty little lump just right where the girth would go, and a developing sarcoid to boot! This particular horse was all done up in brand new matchy-matchy stable rug, headcollar/rope, the lot. Too good to be true, all bulls-cack basically, done to make the buyer not look at the horse too closely.

If you can find a good dealer, then go and see what they've got and make yourself known to them, it should be their pleasure to see you suited and a happy customer! I know a dealer here (about the only one who's honest, that I know of, sadly) and she'll take the horse back if you're not happy, and has done so to my knowledge. That's the sort you need to look for if you can.

Good luck! You WILL get there........ it IS worth waiting for the right one, it really is.

Last edited:

Meredith

Visit site
Thank you so much MiJods. That is just what I needed to hear.

I have made a list of questions / requirements and do have knowledgeable friends but their time to travel with me is of course limited. I do know that if you listen long enough most people will accidentally give you those good or bad vibes as they try hard to sell to you.

When I searched for my beloved last horse a seller told me the owner had been overhorsed and she had been asked to sell it. A girl rode it and I watched with increasing anxiety. As I decided no way was I going anywhere near it my best friend called out "I'm not letting you ride that". I said "No I'm not going to"
Later I saw it at a stables where they tried and failed to reschool it.The present owner was determined to succeed and when I said I had rejected it she said "Yes the previous owner told me there was a lady who was to frightened to ride her" No further explanation required I think!

I won't give up but I was feeling rather depressed about it yesterday.

So thank you again.

Annagain

Visit site
Where are you and what are you looking for Meredith? I have a friend (in S.Wales) who buys and sells a few horses and has a few for sale at the moment. She has mostly natives from about 13.2-14.2 and aged 4-12 at the moment - any good? Asking as you said you don't want a big hunter and native ponies definitely aren't that!

ihatework

Visit site
I think it depends on what you are looking for, how confident you are in your abilities to see beneath minor negatives, your budget, attitude to risk etc. As to what is the best way to find a horse.

For instance I've been in the market for 2 horses recently. One for me to ride and bring on with no real pre defined criteria other than it's a nice person, I want to work with it and I feel there is a market for it in the future. I spend only as much as I'm willing to burn/loose. A fortnight ago one popped up on H&H >>>, I called within 4 hours of advertising, viewed within 24h, and had offer accepted within 48h without vetting.

Whereas the second horse we have been looking for a good 3 months. Looking for a long term prospect with a good budget. We have 2 English agents keeping an eye out, we are scouring adverts, viewed more videos than I care to recall, travelled many miles, had 2 we have withdrawn from post vetting and to be frank it is a PITA.
I think we have one we viewed at Gatcombe last week we will vet and if that fails we will set aside 2-3 days for an overseas trip. Probably France, but maybe Ireland.

What I'm probably trying to say is the fussier you are the more time and financial investment you should expect to make. In those cases using an agent to source you some to view over a few days is from our experience a good way to go. And not necessarily just for competition horses either. A good agent has a reputation to keep.

GTRJazz

Visit site
I had a look at quite a few horses before finally buying first was just listed as a Bay Mare Ok for the Novice after a chat found out the horse was an ex racer and was well placed in the Polish Oaks
the owner rode in the school then I did, the horse moved well so I asked to take her out onto the fields.
At the field edge I noticed the horse grew a bit and the ears came together pointing forward .
Not knowing the horse I asked the owner to ride first. No way was her reply.

Another horse I tried an Appaloosa I could only ride in its field as soon as I tried to trot did a full on bronk which I did not sit for long. To be fair the advert was then upgraded from can be hot under the saddle to will try to get you off.

Meredith

Visit site
Thanks for all replies.

I have sent messages to as many friends who I trust to see what they can find.

I live near the Welsh border / West Midlands.

I would like approx 15 hands, can jump one jump of a metre and a round of 80cm ( that is local jumping not affiliated ) likes XC and if possible has hunted ( again no high jumping ) good in all respects as I am " getting on"! Must stay in field alone. Smooth action appreciated as I have occasional leg pain.

The horse Must be over 8 years and no delicate flowers or tb's. It is far too cold here. I would say a riding club type.

I expect those criteria will make my search more difficult.

All your suggestions are gratefully received and noted. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Thanks for all replies.

I have sent messages to as many friends who I trust to see what they can find.

I live near the Welsh border / West Midlands.

I would like approx 15 hands, can jump one jump of a metre and a round of 80cm ( that is local jumping not affiliated ) likes XC and if possible has hunted ( again no high jumping ) good in all respects as I am " getting on"! Must stay in field alone. Smooth action appreciated as I have occasional leg pain.

The horse Must be over 8 years and no delicate flowers or tb's. It is far too cold here. I would say a riding club type.

I expect those criteria will make my search more difficult.

All your suggestions are gratefully received and noted. Thanks again.

Ah, the ones my friends have won't be suitable then, the older ones are the smaller ones. I'll pm you her facebook page though in case she gets something suitable soon. She does a really good job with the ones she has. She either buys them unbroken and gets them started or finds diamonds in the rough, brings them on a bit and then sells them on. She enjoys the process more than anything but has to sell them to repeat the process with the next ones.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I think you need a Connemara :)

Fancy a trip to Ireland lol...

Fiona

That first sentence took the words right out of my mouth. We've had TBs, warmbloods, Irish sport horses but the one who currently tops the list for me (I'm also getting on a bit) is our Connie. Will do everything you have asked for and with a sweet temperament. He was a "word of mouth" purchase - so lucky.

Meredith

Visit site
That first sentence took the words right out of my mouth. We've had TBs, warmbloods, Irish sport horses but the one who currently tops the list for me (I'm also getting on a bit) is our Connie. Will do everything you have asked for and with a sweet temperament. He was a "word of mouth" purchase - so lucky.

Please wrap him up in brown paper and string and send him by Parcelforce. Empty stable waiting....

Fiona

Visit site
I have a five yo connie who is an absolute Christian, and have known loads more from PC who have all been fab all rounders.

I'm sure there are bad ones about but personally I've never met one..

Fiona

ihatework

Visit site
Thanks annagain.

Hi Fiona.
I have mixed feelings about Connies. 2 friends hate them, my instructor likes them and to be honest I have never known one that wasn't horrid. Perhaps I have just been unfortunate!

I don't think you should get hung up either for or against on any specific breed. You need type and temprement. A Connie could easily fit the bill as could a number of other breeds/mixes.

Your 'problem' is that you want what everyone else wants and you sound like you aren't in a central horse buying area with access to riding clubs etc (although to be honest the really good ones go by word of mouth).

If you spot something advertised that looks good you will need to move quickly. One I sold this summer (15.3hh) went in 3 days and he was younger/less experienced.

If you have a reasonable budget then it might be worth going over to Ireland.