Where to Source a TB?

PercyMum

Visit site
Well, I have been pondering for a week or two and think I would like to go back to a TB for my next horse. So far they have been the most reliable for me so I think I'll stick to what I know!!!

I have contacted Darley and they have nothing suitable atm, and I don't want to loan. Unfortunately I will lose my livery space if its held for more than 3 months so I am going to look elsewhere too (its actually impossible to get livery in my neck of the woods, esp for 2!!). Can anyone suggest a good place to start? i don't want to go through the sales as I'd be hopeless. I thought about going direct to a trainer? Is this a good plan? What should I look out for? Am now petrified of buying horses as I don't want to make anymore mistakes!! I'm in Hampshire so if anyone can help me out, I'd be very, very grateful.

Thankyou!

Suziq77

Visit site
Mine was sold for a minimal price direct from the stud who bred her, as an unbacked 4 year old to the girl I got her from when she turned out not to be what she was looking for once she was backed.

Might be worth asking around a few studs near you?

PercyMum

Visit site
Every other ad I look at is for a TB, surely there must be something suitable out there.

I agree - only everything I go to look at seems not as advertised or a bit suspect. I'd like to get one from the trainer as I am hoping (probably rather naively) that they would be totally honest about what issues/injuries their horses have.

Firewell

Visit site
Try Moorcroft rehoming, they are great and do permanent loans. They are in west Sussex.
Also HERO's near Oxford. We got my mums TB from HERO's and he's fab! He's totally genuine, straightforward and really talented, Bargain!!
:).

Firewell

Visit site
They won't give you the wrong one either, they want you to keep the horse so they will only let you try the suitable ones. Ours came already knowing how to do flying changes lol. At moorcroft they only put the horses out for loan after 6 months of retraining. All know how to work properly in the school, hack and quite often they have also been to a show! They have all been seen by vet, Physio, dentist and there is no hidden surprises. I would def recommend.

PercyMum

Visit site
They won't give you the wrong one either, they want you to keep the horse so they will only let you try the suitable ones. Ours came already knowing how to do flying changes lol. At moorcroft they only put the horses out for loan after 6 months of retraining. All know how to work properly in the school, hack and quite often they have also been to a show! They have all been seen by vet, Physio, dentist and there is no hidden surprises. I would def recommend.

Thankyou - I will give them a go. Although the loan thing does put me off a little!! But I guess if they have the right horse it doesn't matter

Little Squirrel

Visit site
If you look in the directory of the turf (just google it) all the trainers contact details are in there. Just write a few e-mails explaining what your after. A good friend of mine in Ireland has some lovely horses which he sells on as hunters, showjumpers etc. If you want I can send you on his number. He has a great eye for a horse and he also doesn't get offended if you don't find what your looking for.

I also know of another horse who I have known since he was 4 he's 10 now. Was retired last year and used to give all the babies a lead. He's sound never had any issues whilst in training and is a gent. I tried to get my Mum to have him but she said he was too big for her.

I hope this all may be of some help!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Thankyou - I will give them a go. Although the loan thing does put me off a little!! But I guess if they have the right horse it doesn't matter

We got our tb from the thoroghbred rehabilitation centre in Lancaster, they do the long term loan and we have had him nearly two years. It's £500 plus vat for the horse and they ask for a monthly donation of £5 to help the centre. The horse is then yours for as long as you want them. A few I know have had them until they ate pts. You have to fill.put the form on their web site with what you want, they will contact you to come up for have a riding assement then they will bring out the horses they think are suited to you to try and if at any time they don't think you click then they will say, my sister tried three before we got our tb. You do have to have a yard vist to make sure its tight then a.three month check up then a six month after that then its yearly. The good thing about the tech and others like it is that if you are unable to keep horse for any reason then they will all ways habeas home to go back to. Not that we are letting ours go ever:).

They also have a face book pagewhere yo can see what the loan horses are getting up too. We traveled 10 hour round trip to get him, they have arule if you are a surtain distance away you have to pick them up in a lorry for safty reasons.

Xxxx

ridefast

Visit site
Are you wanting an ex racehorse to re school or would you like one to bring on? How advanced would you want it to be in it's ridden work? do you want mare/gelding, colour, age, height?

Dizzle

Visit site
Where abouts are you based? Another vote for Hero’s a friend’s horse was sent there when he wasn’t up to her job and she wanted him to have a good home, if I pass away I’d like mine to go to somewhere like Hero’s. There is also Greatwood in Devon.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
Every other ad I look at is for a TB, surely there must be something suitable out there.

Yes. I would think you'll probably get a few pm's from people on here who have or know of TBs for sale. Most people with a TB they need to sell will probably list it on either Horsemart, Horse & Hound, Horsedeals, Horsequest, etc.

You can add filters into the searches to make it even easier. Failing that, I would think if you put a wanted advert on something like horsemart, your phone wouldn't stop ringing. From my experiences you'll most likely be able to buy a nice TB for less if you buy privately as opposed to going through a rehoming centre.

Good luck!

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
Where abouts are you based? Another vote for Hero’s a friend’s horse was sent there when he wasn’t up to her job and she wanted him to have a good home, if I pass away I’d like mine to go to somewhere like Hero’s.

They are full and aren't taking any more horses in. A word of advice; if you get one from there GET YOU OWN VET to do the vetting, and don't under any circumstances let anyone there persuade you to use their preferred vet! I'd also advise you take bloods to see if there are any masking agents in the horses’ system at time of vetting too.

olop

Visit site
When we were looking we enquired at Moorcroft - the woman was quite rude to me & said I was far to tall to be riding a TB (I am 6ft but just over 8 stone) so didnt bother with them!

We contacted the trainers direct & found a lovely horse from a trainer in Epsom. He was absolutely wonderful & would have been an ideal RoR candidate (he was absolutely stunning) but unfortunaetly a few months in to the loan he went horredously lame & the trainer took him back to live the rest of his days out to grass. Was absolutely gutted, but would recommend going to a trainer, they know every last hair of those horses so you will know the history & whether they are trainable etc.

Good luck!

PercyMum

Visit site
Are you wanting an ex racehorse to re school or would you like one to bring on? How advanced would you want it to be in it's ridden work? do you want mare/gelding, colour, age, height?

Thanks every one for all your answers. I'd like one to reschool and do a bit of everything with, mainly dressage and jumping. Also a bit of hacking (we have fab hacking round here!), and I quite fancy the ROR classes!! Not bothered about sex or colour but would prefer something under 8 and 16.2 or over as I am quite tall. I'm experienced but had enough of bonkers WBs and want to go back to TBs - the ones I have had were scatty but not stupid!

Spring Feather

Visit site
My advice is to contact the trainers directly. Most are truthful and with racers straight from the trainers what you see is what you get rather than taking on possible extra baggage from a seller with less competence trying to retrain an ex-racer.