where to start??? - advice badly needed!!

tendu

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone!
Im really hopeing someone here can give me a bit of friendly advice....

basically...
i have recently moved to england from america.... in the states... i had 4 horses - and sadly had to put my rideing career on hold when i relocated....

i have been here for 2 1/2 years now... horseless and feeling as though a big part of my life has been missing!! - today however... i found a place that is no more than a 5 minute walk from my house where i could keep a horse should i choose to get back into it!!!
grin.gif

and so... ive spent all of today excitedly sifting though a number of 'online horse trader sites' (which i must admit... is somewhat of a strange consept to me seeing as in america our stable had a special 'horse agent' which helped seek out horses for us to buy!)

my question for you... is apart from the internet... what are the best avenues for seeking out horses for sale in the UK? **Im not looking for anything special... just an older heavy breed of some sort that would make a good friend / rideing companion**
smile.gif
any advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated...

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Have you looked up local tack shops?

Or maybe book a few lessons at a local riding school and ask your instructor.
H&H magazine, Horse, your horse etc are good.
also look in local papers. Or try a reputable dealer.

good luck!

Zebedee

Visit site
Word of mouth is always best! Find out who to contact for your local riding club. Saddlery shops generally have some for sale adverts. Contact riding schools/ centres. They might not have what you want but may know of something.
ALWAYS have your propective purchases vetted - ask on here for good equine vets in the area that you intend buying the horse from.
Finally......don't be in too much of a hurry - & good luck!

Bess

Visit site
Why don't you start looking at all places that are say 15 mins or 20 minutes from you. Also look at saddlery's or tack shops. Start having some lessons at the local riding schools and put your own advertisements on their boards. Meanwhile check out all local livery yards.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There are reputable dealers about....no, seriously there are. If you contact one of them & tell them of the type of horse you are looking for they will be able to find it for you. Speak to yard owners, riding stable owners etc, they will be able to assist with finding one. You may have to pay a little more than a private sale but as with all purchases in England if you buy from a dealer then you have far more comeback if something goes wrong. Good Luck in your search.
smile.gif