Where to start with field?!

MrsPig

New User
Visit site
Hi Everyone

After years of having horses at DIY livery we are in the process of buying a house (needing total renovation) with a field attached which we intend to use for grazing our 2 oldies. The house has not been lived in for at least 10 years and the field is totally overgrown, I don't think it has been used for anything in that time. My question is where do we start to get the field into being suitable for grazing having never had anything more than a garden to look after in the past! It is going to be 6 months at least before we can move into the house so Ihope this is time to get it sorted. Any info would be great (by the way we live in France).

Arizahn

Visit site
How large an area is the field?
Have you had the soil tested for quality/acidity/toxins, etc?
Are there any dangerous plants?
What is the drainage like?
What was the field used for in the past?
Any history of diseases related to grazing in the area?
Does the field have water/electricity?
What sort of boundary is around the field?
What sort of planning is available in case you need to build field shelters?
Is there room for a muck heap?
Will it need harrowed and/or reseeded before use?
Are there any restrictions legally on what you can use the land for?

MrsPig

New User
Visit site
Hi

Thank you for the info. I think I willl need to ask neighbours about the field (good way of introducing myself). As I said the house hasn't been lived in or the field used for about 10 years so not so easy to find out its history. Can you test the quality etc of the soil yourself? Living in France things that seem straightforward in the UK are not always the same here!

indie999

Visit site
Agree with the above post. I had a similar situation. I didnt test soil got it topped after removing sheep netting(it was entwined and the grass was waist height , field hadnt been used for years).
Have a look at other nearby fields as that will give you an idea what grows.
I just got it topped by local farmer, we did think about getting it completely ploughed reseeded rolled etc as it was uneven land. After a couple of years a farmer put in a french drain as we had a small pond when it rained. Clay soil etc. Just top, renew fence and look for the usual culprits ragwort etc. I really wouldnt spray it (dont agree with spraying fields & I mean to feed the grass ie nitrogen products etc as you can make your horses ill..to rich etc).
I have over the years thrown out grass seeds etc I discovered the previous owner had tried to seed it with various nice horse grasses etc(not sure where they are)

Did use grazon 90 as had a dock problem at one stage.
Good luck sounds very exciting project.