Where would you start looking for a new horse?

Myhorseeatsmoney

Visit site
I want to start looking for another horse but I really hate hunting.I am looking for a good allrounder that has a genuine charachter..

Can anyone pm me with details of decent dealers please?

Thanks in advance

DosyMare

Visit site
What are you looking for??

Cob/TB/Arab/Spanish?

What size? Colour? Age?

What do you want to do? Dressage/hack/SJ

Do you have horse experience? Novice/First time buyer

How much do you have to spend? Do you have tack and rugs and insurance and vetting quotes.

I would personally avoid dealers - they will sell you anything!!

Enfys

Visit site
I would personally avoid dealers - they will sell you anything!!

Tar. Feathers. Not fair comment :(

:mad: I would be called a dealer in that I buy and sell horses (anything in fact, if the price is right, got a load of nice muscovies right now ) but I won't sell just any old horse to any old bod with a handful of dollars if I don't think they'll suit. Of course, I can only judge on what I see before me, I can't tell if they've borrowed a child, or someone's old Grandma and that the horse won't be at OLEX the next day but I try my best, I have a waiting list for horses, that doesn't happen because I cheat people .

Sounds like you've just drawn the short straw and had bad luck with dealers before, you won't be recommending that one then ;)

OP is right, forums are a good place to ask, word of mouth is a pretty good way to go about finding out about reputations. Sorry I can't help personally, I am out of area.

Last edited:

doonrocket

Visit site
I think a lot of good horses are sold before they need to be advertised, just let people know what your looking for and let word of mouth do the rest. Be patient and keep it local, worked for me after travelling far and wide for previous horses.

Found more good dealers than bad though, and found some very helpful in the past.