Where's the best place to look for a project?

Bri

Visit site
Looks like my beast is going to be out of action for the foreseeable future so am starting to look for a project to play with in the meantime.

I've tried project horses and am absolutely astounded at the prices people are asking. One person who clearly resides on a different planet, wants 5k for a relatively small pony that keeps bucking off her kid!

Are there any other good websites? I want something fairly cheap, but other then that am not really fussy. Would quite like an ex-racer, but all the ones I've seen advertised again seem to be silly money!

Any suggestions gratefully received! :)

3DE

Visit site
I know it sounds corny but word of mouth! Let people know you are looking for a project and the chances are you will be offered one... People never want to part with their horse they are having problems with, despite it nearly killing them sometimes. If they know someone they know is looking they are likely to offer it (and sometimes for a real bargain). Also with the market at what it is at the mo less are selling - but if they know the horse will get an extra special home... Just open your mouth and make yourself known :) :) :)

hadfos

Visit site
Looks like my beast is going to be out of action for the foreseeable future so am starting to look for a project to play with in the meantime.

I've tried project horses and am absolutely astounded at the prices people are asking. One person who clearly resides on a different planet, wants 5k for a relatively small pony that keeps bucking off her kid!

Are there any other good websites? I want something fairly cheap, but other then that am not really fussy. Would quite like an ex-racer, but all the ones I've seen advertised again seem to be silly money!

Any suggestions gratefully received! :)

Bloodstock sales if you know what you looking at :D we picked up one for £600....he turned out to be a fab allrounder!

Cliqmo

Visit site
How much of a "project" are you looking for??

A friend from work has a very twitchy thrashy mare who she simply can't make any progress with (and she's a very experienced horsewoman :eek: ) I don't know the mare at all but she has been described by my colleague as "neurotic" and seems to take 1 step forwards and 3 steps back every stage of the way :eek:

If you are looking for something that will need starting from scratch then let me know :)

moses06

Visit site
word of mouth, ring trainers and see what they are outing if you want an ex racer, avoid project horses, the prices on there are just ludicrous, if you feel confident you can pick up a decent bargain at the sales.

Bri

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Farrierlover - the lower the price the better really, but probably about £800 -1k at a push.

I've put the word out to a few people I know, but nothing yet! A friend of mine works in racing and said she'd take me up to ascot but in the meantime I wanted to keep looking!

Cliqmo, would you be able to PM me a few more details? Age, height etc. Although have to admit first thought was whether it had been cleared by a vet for its behaviour?

reindeerlover

Visit site
I have one that I would let go for £1000 to an experienced home, she's good to ride but needs calm confident handling on the ground as she is nervous. Needs access to a secure stable yard and school initially and someone with plenty of patience. 16hh approx, 6yo tb never raced or in training. Pm me if you want more details.

welshied

Visit site
If you go up to ascot you will easilly find very cheap exracers as thats all there is around here which makes them twice as ahrd to sell on which is why i'm finding it so difficult lol good luck

Bri

Visit site
Welshied - I've seen a lot of posts about racers and it certainly seems like they're harder to sell! Thing is I've been looking all over for one near me and they're all going for at least 2k!!

Fii - would definitely consider a pony too. How old is is older?

Fii

Visit site
He is 13, palamino NF, quite nervy, and can be headshy when putting on bridle, not broken, as soon after OH got him, i had really lost my nerve for backing, he is good for the farrier, and will do anything for food. I won't lie, he is running out, fat, and would take a LOT of work, to come right. but am not asking much for him, just a life and a good home.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I would be careful about getting one from the bloodstock sales. I know of trainers who sell the "safe" horses to people direct, but send the "nutters" to the sales, because they don't want the come back of someone being hurt. And a lot of people in racing think that when something is rearing or bucking and plunging it is completely normal and not difficult to handle. Totally different from what most riders think is normal. I have two -both bought directly from the trainers. I paid a bit more than I wanted to for my most recent one, but it has been invaluable buying from the trainer as I spoke to the lasses who looked after her and rode her and they told me about her, so I knew what I was getting. (A wonderful horse!).. I know someone earlier has said on here that they got a great one for £600 and my first one was only £300 and he is fab, but they are few and far between at the sales. It is worth paying just a few hundred pounds more to see the horse close up, spend a bit of time with it, see it move etc....

Brownmare

Visit site
A friend of mine is trying to rehome one at the moment. She is definitely not a tb but a 16.2hh coloured idx who has had nothing done with her for 3 years and will probably need rebreaking

R2R

Visit site
I have got a 13.2hh pony that you could have over the summer and make some £££ on?