Whew, got away with that, poor Ludo.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yesterday I came home to find Ludo bleeding from a small V cut on a lump on his forehead and looking very sorry for himself, and shying away when Muffin came near. I nearly posted for vibes, but looking up on Google it was unlikely that he had any brain damage as he was still on his feet, eating, and walking well. But he did look like he had a headache, the poor boy 😣

He was still down today and I searched the barn for what he could have done it on and found nothing. It came to me suddenly this afternoon that Muffin must have reared and smacked him on the forehead. No wonder he was a bit down 😓

He's noticeably brighter this evening, so I don't know why I'm posting really. Just so relieved, I guess. Horses, who'dave'em, eh?

Last edited:

ImmyS

Visit site
They always find a way to worry us! I hope Ludo is feeling better soon, he must feel bruised!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Poor Ludo, hope he's ok. Might have got bitten in the face even rather than hoof-whalloped! Painful either way though.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Skylla got kicked square between the eyes as a three year old 🙈, no lasting damage thankfully other than a slightly lumpy head!

It did however, cause a fracture that abscessed, but think she was quite unlucky in that regard, but if the site starts to swell something to be aware of 😳.

ycbm

Visit site
Poor Ludo, hope he's ok. Might have got bitten in the face even rather than hoof-whalloped! Painful either way though.

Definitely not a bite, unfortunately. A clean V, upside down, two sides of about an inch. In the middle of a three inch wide lump with no teeth marks. He's got a second lump come up now of the same sort of size half way down his face. He took a right pasting 😥

ycbm

Visit site
Skylla got kicked square between the eyes as a three year old 🙈, no lasting damage thankfully other than a slightly lumpy head!

It did however, cause a fracture that abscessed, but think she was quite unlucky in that regard, but if the site starts to swell something to be aware of 😳.

Thanks for this heads up, I will watch carefully.

ycbm

Visit site
Don't be surprised if he starts having nosebleeds. Its quite normal for horses with head injuries from simple dunts to proper clouts

Ooh. O K, thanks for the info.

vhf

Visit site
I had one with a fractured skull a couple years ago. She bled down her nose non-stop for 24 hours, and we think had a headache for a few days, but she had so many things going on it was impossible to say. Was left with a splint like lump which is now barely feel-able.

ycbm

Visit site
He's bright this morning but he's very wary of Muffin and he doesn't want it touched. If I put a headcollar on I can press it very gently with no reaction. Got away with it I think.

Reactions: vhf

SEL

Visit site
He's bright this morning but he's very wary of Muffin and he doesn't want it touched. If I put a headcollar on I can press it very gently with no reaction. Got away with it I think.

Lucky boy!! Bet he's got a cracking headache.

I wonder if he got cornered and couldn't get out of the way of the hooves :oops: