Which 4x4?

Do you need to be dominant over your horse?

• Total voters

vicm2509

Visit site
I am really considering swapping my car and box for a 4x4 and trailer, I have done all the maths and think it will work out better. Anyway I am a little stuck as to which 4x4 to go for. All of these I would be looking at getting a 1996-1998 one (that is the budget). Ideally I think a Shougun would be best, but fussy me is not too fussed on the inside of them and would much rather have a Land Rover/Range Rover but OH says to stick with the Shogun. So all things considered i.e towing, fuel economy, maintenence etc which would be best? Oh and I will be towing ONE 600kg horse plus a double Ifor 510.

I have checked what all of them can tow and all will pull the weight fine, I am not really going to be going to boggy showgrounds as all the places we go to have proper car parks, but do need to consider that we may have to park on wet fields from time to time.

Would be getting a 2.8 diesel if I got the SWB shogun, which OH thinks would be best for me. I would prefer LWB shougn if I had to get a shogun.

So opinions please (and comments if poss)
smile.gif

louisevictoria

Visit site
I had a mitsubishi lwb pajero (foreign version of shogun) and it was fantastic for towing, seriously couldn't fault it at all, the only reason I got rid of it was that I eventually upgraded to a lorry and couldn't justify keeping it to just drive to work.

hellspells

Visit site
I voted swb shogun/pajero cos in those years ranges they would be cheaper to fix if anything goes wrong/needs replacing.

Have you thought about a defender - purely as there is more room to throw things in the back, and aren't to bad price wise to have serviced ets.

SDH

Visit site
I've got LWB Pajero (import version of Shogun) and its fab fab fab :)

(oh but you'll be well on the way to eco-hell with the quanity of diesel it consumes)

Finnbob

Visit site
A Disco, Defender or Range Rover will generally cost more to buy and service/parts etc than a foreign car such as a mitsubishi or nissan for the equivalent age/condition etc

I was always told a LWB is far more stable than a SWB (any car) and not to get a pick-up unless your always gonna have a big load in the back otherwise the balance and center of gravitys all wrong.

My dad uses a pajero for towing and I've occasionally borrowed this and had no troubles with it. I have a Nissan Pathfinder and it's brilliant.

Nothing that size is gonna be good on fuel economy but at least if your getting a car pre march 2001 the tax should be cheaper - mines £400 a year and rising!

starsky

Visit site
I drive a Hyundai Terracan and I love it! Reliable, not too bad on diesel and tows double trailer with 2 horses with ease. Had a Land Rover previously and had nothing but problems and Land Rover customer service is cr*p!!! Hyundai are a lot cheaper as not so trendy so you can get more for your money, but mine is great.

Jingleballs

Visit site
I voted other - I've just bought a SWB Nissan Xtrail 2.2 dci sport which has a braked towing capacity of 2000kg.

I know a few people who tow easily with this vehicle although many will tell you it's not a real 4x4.

I've not towed with mine yet but again I would only be towing around 1500kg (905 for 505 and 600kg coblet) so am well below the weight for towing a derated Ifor.

I wouldn't trust it to get me out of a boggy field but I'm only looking to travel locally and the large competition yard near me where I'm most likely to go has a proper car park so not too worried about it.

It's also very economical and you can get about 45 mpg with it.

kit279

Visit site
Get an LPG converted 4x4 - much cheaper to run than diesel!

I'd steer clear of Land Rovers - the head gaskets are almost invariably dodgy... As a general rule, the Japanese makes are better built and more efficient if you do decide to go for the diesel.

Marnie

Visit site
I've got a LWB turbo-diesel automatic Mitsubishi Pajero - it's rather thirsty but tows brilliantly and is just a nice truck to drive around in!

ladyt25

Visit site
Sorry i didn't look at the years of them but put Range Rover but then I don't think it would be the best economically!

People on here though rave about the Kia Sorrento so maybe that could be worth looking at as (I would think) you could get a newer one for similar money and it would be nice enough inside wouldn't it?

If you did go for an older one the probably a Pajero/Shogun would be the best price wise and economically.

RLF

Visit site
I ticked other I would not be without my LR Defender 90 TD5 County fantastic tower, great for muddy fields, has snorkel so we go through floods too, you can chuck all you horse stuff in and not worry about dirtying the seats too.

vicm2509

Visit site
Thank you all very much for the replies, I will be having a look at all the suuggesions this weekend, I really dont want a Defender though, I know they are relly good but I want something a little more 'pretty'
tongue.gif

neddynesbitt

Visit site
For me it's Toyota Landcruiser now on our 3rd one (only cos we have updated to newer models) Wouldn't have anything else.

My brother and friend both had Shoguns and may be bad luck but both blew head gaskets and had to have new head as well.