Which 4x4

miamibear

Visit site
Ok so got a few ins quotes, now need an idea of cost!! LOL
grin.gif

Which are the best makes, need something hefty to pull 2 horses, dad has trooper but i believe they arent that great on repair costs?

Any ideas?

P.S I know this has been asked before - sorry people

kick_On

Visit site
if you don't mind basic - Landie defender 300TDI - I love mine and boy it does job. Cheap and easy to repair and will go on & on & on & on & on.................

Sheltie

Visit site
Definitely the Land Rover will pull anything and cheap to repair, mine was ma de 1983 and is still going well.Insurance for me was £380 fully comp (and i'am age 22) with the nfu.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Get a Long Wheel Base 6 Cylinder Defender as they give the most stable tow. Get some Free Wheeling Hubs fitted to the front wheels to keep the fuel consumption down when you are not in 4 wheel drive.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
4X4s are all expensive to repair if you can't do it yourself. I had a Discovery & had to change the cambelt, pulleys & Diesel pump all at once. Fortunately I got a reconditioned pump because a new one was £1200. The recon was still almost £600. With labour, parts etc it cost over £1100 for the job. That was on a 300TDI engine, same as in some Defenders...so Defenders are expensive to repair aswell. Don't get me started on on my bl***y Shogun!!!

Theuy both towed really well though.

Jay89

Visit site
Discovery's are supposed to be really good for towing. We have one and we have always used it for towing our big horses. I think there wuite exspensive to repair but we have had 2 and never had anythin go majorly wrong.

Chex

Visit site
My mum tows with a trooper. Not sure about the repair costs, its not needed any in the 6 years we've had it (apart from the bumper falling off lol). I think most 4x4 are quite pricey to repair compared to to normal cars. we have a SWB 3.1, and it tows really well.

ginnyspinner

Visit site
My discovery TD5 tows great - but yes, expensive to repair. I have a good local mechanic but in the year I have had it it has needed a new power steering box, new fuel pump (wouldn't it have been fun if it had gone while towing) several gaskets and the gearbox taking out and putting back in to mend a leak. Add to that the cost of sevicing, diesel and the fact that the sunroofs leak AND gearbox makes a whine in 5th it would not be top of my list again!
Top of wishlist now? - A micra and a two horse lorry with living!!