which bit for a youngster?

mandy4727

Visit site
Our filly is now 18 months old and shes been shown inhand with a nylon straigh bar bit. Tried it on her tonigh and she really isnt happy with it. Its not just tonight, its every time its in her mouth. Shes fine to have the bit put in but when its in she just chews and chews and chews. Have left it on for a good few mins but she still chews away. Just to let you know she has wolf teeth. Could it be them? If not which bit would you recommend?
Thanks

KatB

Visit site
Its natural for them to chomp and chew. Possibly put it a little bit higher in her mouth? For bitting as a starter, thats the ideal type but could just be a bit thick? I personally like the Nathe bits as they are soft and relatively thin, but arent cheap unfortunately....

lister

Visit site
sometime horses or even youngsters tongues are too thick for straight bits, and they'll just chew as it is uncomfortable, why don't you try a simple loose ing snaffle

RobinHood

Visit site
I gave up with a straight bar rubber snaffle with my 3yr old and he now has a double jointed full cheek which he's much happier in, I think he found the rubber one too think. At 18 months I wouldn't really owrry about it, she's got plenty of time to get used to a bit.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Personally I hate those straight bar showing bits, not conducive to a soft mouth IMHO. I like the french link (perhaps with fulmers, depending on the stearing!), it does not have the nutcracker action of a single joint snaffle and therefore is a little kinder I feel. Another good one is the KK Training Bit - expensive but worth it, although I believe Neue Schule do a very similar one at nearly half the price.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Chancer has a french link full cheek cyprium snaffle which he really likes. I am going to buy a french link cyprium snaffle to show him with next year as I find he often has a dry mouth with the in hand nylon bit but not with his cyprium snaffle.

He long reins very well in it and I will use this bit when he is backed probably around Christmas this year.

Farasi

Visit site
I have my youngster in a Neue Schule starter bit, which is excellent and much cheaper than a KK. Ring them up Heather is very helpful. Good luck