which bit?

wench

Visit site
i am thinking of taking my horse hunting later on in the year he is a 10yo 17h tb x.

currently he is ridden in a single jointed eggbut snaffle, which he goes well in.

When he is out on his own, especially cantering, he will grab hold of the bit, put his head down and run off. he will eventually stop, after a lot of pulling.

When we get out in company he is fine most of the time, but there can be times when he starts racing, ana again, he is very difficult to pull up.

hence why i would imagine he will be worse out hunting, but would it be advisable to put in him something that is a bit stronger, or stick with what he's got?

flyingfeet

Visit site
Change your bit - single joints are pointless and uncomfortable, I suggest you look for a lozenge / french link / dog bone / barrel bit if you want to stick to a broken mouthpeice.

If you go hunting in your current set up you are likely to spend all day hauling and really damage the nerves in his mouth. Not to mention it being a fairly unpleasant experience for you!

gentle_giant

Visit site
I have a warmblood who is also very strong, I have him in a cheltenham gag and it works wonders.

Waterfords like Thistle said are also great as the mouthpiece revolves so the horse cant grab hold of it.

I would say just try different ones before the meet and see what works best for you, cheltenhams are quite expensive though, about £60.

mitchellk

Visit site
I also aprove of the waterford- not all bits suit all horses so def a good idea to experiment a bit before hunting. In my opinion it is always wiser to bit up for hunting particularly if you havent taken your horse before, best to be on the safe side- for you and your fellow huntmen!