Which bit?

frostyfingers

Visit site
I have recently bought a horse and am struggling to find a bit that suits us both. When I tried him he was in a Waterford Dutch Gag with the rein on the middle ring, and a flash noseband. He was perfectly manageable, obedient and apparently comfortable and it was only on untacking him did I realise that he was "cut" on both sides. I say cut although it wasn't bleeding but it was obviously not right and it wasn't new.

The seller said "oh it happens sometimes when he gets excited out hunting and we just use bit tape". I'm not keen on the dutch gag anyway so naively thought I could find a different bit and the problem would go away.....

After some healing time I tried him in French Link/Flash noseband, couldn't stop - side of mouth sore again, healed again and tried Waterford snaffle with bit tape/Flash noseband, still couldn't stop, 3rd time I tried again with French Link and Grakle noseband which resulted in more, but not total control. I also tried hacking him in a plain thick snaffle with cavesson noseband and it was not an experience I'd like to repeat - even though we were only walking/trotting on the roads I didn't feel safe!

So, he's now had almost a month off, his mouth looks fine and he's happy (always has been) for me to put my fingers in and poke around and I want to get him going but am stumped as to what I can put in his mouth without making him sore again.

I'm happy to hack in something reasonably low key, but for hunting/eventing/team chase I do need more control than I have had - he leans heavily which is why I thought the Waterford snaffle would help.