Which books have made a difference to your riding?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Black Beauty the book that changed my life .
its often seen as a children’s book but it’s a cracking work of political campaigning written by a woman in a time when woman did not often do that sort of thing .

Ingrid Klimke the update of her fathers classic work The basic training of the horse is a must read
The Complete training of the horse and rider , Alois Podjasky a Classic work

Goldenstar

Visit site
And Bounce by Syed Matthew brilliant book about what makes a successful competitor But you can use the messages in lots of other roles .

planete

Visit site
Cobs Can!
I really liked how it explained how a cob is built and why this means they find it harder to float around in an outline and how we can work with their build

I think I need this book. My little black cob is so different from my previous horses, I am finding his way of going really hard to adjust to. Surprisingly sensitive to weight aids but having problems with impulsion (lack of!) right now.

Cob Life

Visit site
I think I need this book. My little black cob is so different from my previous horses, I am finding his way of going really hard to adjust to. Surprisingly sensitive to weight aids but having problems with impulsion (lack of!) right now.
I’ve got both books but preferred the purple one to the work book. If you’re into groundwork though you’ll probably like both.
It really gave me the kick up the butt I needed and got me to get blue more responsive to my aids

planete

Visit site
I’ve got both books but preferred the purple one to the work book. If you’re into groundwork though you’ll probably like both.
It really gave me the kick up the butt I needed and got me to get blue more responsive to my aids

I did not realise there were two. I just checked and I am getting the purple one. I already have a few manuals on work in hand which I have started with him. He is much greener than I expected but seems a quick learner and has mostly stopped trying to use his bulk to get his own way thankfully. He is strong willed but kind and gives in gracefully when I manage to outwit him!

Reactions: TPO

Cob Life

Visit site
I did not realise there were two. I just checked and I am getting the purple one. I already have a few manuals on work in hand which I have started with him. He is much greener than I expected but seems a quick learner and has mostly stopped trying to use his bulk to get his own way thankfully. He is strong willed but kind and gives in gracefully when I manage to outwit him!
He sounds very like blue! He’s big and heavy and he knows it. I’m only 5’2 so I had to outsmart him To stop him using his size against me on the ground as he would just run through you for the hell of it. I only had to stop him doing it 3 times and he learn‘t that didn’t work anymore.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
And Bounce by Syed Matthew brilliant book about what makes a successful competitor But you can use the messages in lots of other roles .

oh my goodness - Bounce is my favourite book ever. Have you read his other book Black Box which is about the value of failure and how it teaches us resilience?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I think you have to understand horse anatomy before you understand how a horse should work under saddle.
I'm going to suggest Sara Wyche 'Understanding the horse's back' and 'Understanding the horse's legs' books.
Tug of War by Heuschmann is also good as a warning!

LeneHorse

Visit site
I found Mary wanless challenging but rewarding. I had the ride with your mind masterclass book which had lots of case studies in it. An easier read was 'the less than perfect rider' - I can't remember who wrote it but it looked at different body shapes and the issues they may cause when riding and how to overcome them.

Visit site
Thanks to everyone who’s put recommendations on here ...

... but I hope my OH doesn’t look too closely at “orders placed” on our Amazon account anytime soon

Northern Hare

Visit site
“Thinking Riding“ by Molly Sievewright
“Down to Earth Dressage“ by Carl Hester

Both amazing and inspirational books.

Also my favourite book of all time is “Up, Up and Away” by Lucinda Prior Palmer (Green) - a totally fantastic book for anyone interested in eventing or who loves horses and riding!!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I am currently re-reading my collection of Mark Rashid books. I find them fascinating but also very relaxing to read.

Centered Riding is great.

Enlightened Equitation by Heather Moffat is another one that I find really helpful. She understands why some riders (me!) struggle with some of the technical terms involved in riding, and some of the common problems that arise. She explains things really clearly and offers genuinely helpful exercises. I think it went out of print but you see copies pop on ebay etc every now and then.

AUB

Visit site
Kyra Kyrklund - dressage with Kyra
Andres McLean - the truth about horses
Andrew McLean - Equitation Science
Gerd Heuschmann - tug of war
Müseler - Reitlehre/Riding Logic
Steinbrecht - the gymnasium of the horse
Nuno oliveira - reflections on equestrian art
Gillian Higgins - how your horse moves

Reactions: TPO