Which boots for your horse when hunting?

xfeex

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have been searching the web for some decent boots for my TB for hunting, I thought I would ask on here what boots you use for your horses?

I have been looking at eventing boots?

thank you

silverbullet

Visit site
Unless your horse really needs boots I wouldn't bother as muck under them can rub if its a long day.

If you do need them i can't recommend a specific boot but make sure they're a really good fit for your horse.

spacefaer

Visit site
My lot never wear boots unless absolutely unavoidable - and then I use fluffy lined ones - N.E.W. ones for instance so that any grit will get stuck in the fluff and not rub the skin on the legs

Neoprene are not good - the horse's legs sweat and you get mud/grit inside - worse possible combination for rubs

make sure they're on securely - tape if absolutely necessary - but make sure they're reallyclean before you set off

I don't even use overreach boots - they tend to get left behind in the first couple of fields when it's muddy and are pretty much a waste of time. I've also seen a couple of bad horse falls where the boot has stayed on when the horse trod on it with a hind toe - nasty rotational ones :( :(

KatB

Visit site
I would NEVER tape boots on, as if they slip, they will slip with the tape, which means it makes them harder to come off and cause all sorts of problems. I have always used Prolites with no rubbing etc on a pink skinned horse. The NEW fleecey ones are also a good choice :)

JenHunt

Visit site
I wouldn't bother with them. they cause more hassle than they're worth IMO.

having said that. my sisters horse had to wear boots when he first went hunting as he was very close behind and generally clumsy (he's muscled up and got better since!) we used the Prolite event boots and they never moved.

Steeleydan

Visit site
My sister uses the prolite front boots on her TB, they fit very well never had a problem with them rubbing or getting any thing under them. We have found any boots with fur lining get very heavy when wet, our hunt go through a lot of plough sometimes very wet and deep the prolite boots don't move at all.

Simsar

Visit site
Don't use boots, never have never will not even on the TB's. We trot a lot so legs should be hard enough to cope with concusion and bashes.