Which Chaff??????

peanutsmumma

Visit site
I am looking at different options of chaff to change my 2 Natives on to and need some advice :)
They are currently on Pure Easy chaff but i have been recommended to change because its not at 'organic' as its made out to be. My Dartmoor is was Borderline EMS a few years ago so I need something that is low in sugar and starch.
The options are - Dengie Molasses free or Thunderbrooks Herbal Chaff.
Does any one feed these.......and reviews on them?

Last edited:

Horseysheepy

Visit site
I'm a big Dengie fan, but it contains alfalfa which may not suit some horses.

The honeychop range may have something to suit. Lite and healthy perhaps?

Reactions: TPO

holeymoley

Visit site
Thunderbrooks Herbal Chaff is fine, but I expect you'll get some replies here about the owner of the business. Dengie Molasses Free is very tasteless if I remember right, there's not much to it so some turn their noses up at it.

Another one to look at are Simple Systems chaffs, although not as readily available as main stream brands.

TPO

Visit site
If it was the last chaff on earth I wouldn't put money into Thunderbrooks pocket.

I've been using Topspec Zero and this weekend got a bag of Honeychop lite and healthy. Fat Cob was never keen on TopSpec but my other horse inhaled it. They both have started getting a wee bit of Lite and Healthy and they both love it.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
HoneyChop Lite and Healthy over anything else for a palatable yet interesting chaff. I also use Pure Easy or Pure Balance in the winter which they both like so I’m interested why you are questioning it now. Have heard good things about Simple Systems but it contains alfalfa which is a big no for one of mine.

holeymoley

Visit site
If it was the last chaff on earth I wouldn't put money into Thunderbrooks pocket.

I've been using Topspec Zero and this weekend got a bag of Honeychop lite and healthy. Fat Cob was never keen on TopSpec but my other horse inhaled it. They both have started getting a wee bit of Lite and Healthy and they both love it.

I can't source Honeychop L & H for love nor money! I would definitely like to try it too. EMS horse currently on a mixture of SS Timothy Chop & Topchop Zero

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I can't source Honeychop L & H for love nor money! I would definitely like to try it too. EMS horse currently on a mixture of SS Timothy Chop & Topchop Zero
Where are you? I managed to get it when I was in Surrey and also up here in North Yorkshire, clearly I’ve got very lucky! It’s a great chaff.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Equisupermarket are good if you can't get stuff locally, they do honeychop and also Agrobs which I was going to suggy have a good variety of chaffs. Technically it's free delivery but everything is priced accordingly and £5/£6 more than you would pay in-store.

However they seem to have lite and healthy on special atm

https://www.equisupermarket.co.uk/c/nutrition/horse-feed?brand=6000639

Chianti

Visit site
Marksway do a light chaff which is molasses free. It's low sugar/starch and has got some fibre pellets in it to make it more interesting. My fussy pony eats it when he wouldn't touch the Honeychop Lite and Healthy.

rextherobber

Visit site
HoneyChop Lite and Healthy over anything else for a palatable yet interesting chaff. I also use Pure Easy or Pure Balance in the winter which they both like so I’m interested why you are questioning it now. Have heard good things about Simple Systems but it contains alfalfa which is a big no for one of mine.
This is exactly the reply I'd have made