Which Charity for horses? Too many?

indie999

Visit site
OK I often get the letters and wonder which charity really does need a donation and which one is genuinely the best at helping? I send old ink cartridges to BHS and RSPCA in their special envelopes(I take it in turns rather than get a fiver from Tesco). But when I see the people trying to stop live transport abroad for any animal I never know. So many to choose?

Who do you donate and why?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
MY favourite Charity is S.P.A.N.A. http://spana.org/

ever since I saw John Craven doing a programme on the working animals in Marrakesh. Similar to the Brook but SPANA cover more countries than they do.

Also support RNLI and Air Ambulance - Horse welfare too.who also have envelopes for ink cartridges and mobile phones http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/information/latest-news?view=show&content_id=4786
and A foster for CPL

These are the only ones I put money in

I do not put money in RSPCA _ Children ones _ etc

Last edited:

niagaraduval

Visit site
I like the ILPH and have seen their work, they have seen some disgusting things and they really are just about the horses. It's called WORLD HORSE WELFARE now. I did prefer their old name.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site

indie999

Visit site
oh some of these I have never heard of. Will now look up.

I know the RSPCA dont seem to be too good with equines from what I read on here but they have been brill with wildlife ie swans with hooks etc many times. When my mother died we did a donation to NSPCC and RSPB as we thought she would have liked that but the RSPB are concerned with laws etc and would not come out for the swan(S) when they got in trouble with fishing hooks(we lived at the time by a river) but RSPCA were excellent and came out immediately the few times and caught the birds etc and they checked on a jack russell many years ago when we reported the owners.

But often think re horses just not sure nowadays...! I know Paul McCartney was involved or put his name to one in an ariticle but not sure who it was.

Thanks for the responses.

bumblelion

Visit site
I like bransby (quite local to me), redwings (supported them from being at school and just carried on adopting from them!), hillside are fabulous, very proactive and do a lot for horses/ponies as well as other farm animals.

muffinino

Visit site
As others have said, The Brooke is marvelous. I've not heard of SPANA before but will have a nose. I support the SWHP in Monmouth, personally and through my riding club. They are my local one and do such great work. Maybe pick a national one and a local one?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Strange allot of people haven't heard of SPANA when they were founded allot earlier than The Brooke :confused:.

The SPANA story

SPANA was founded in 1923 by Kate Hosali and her daughter Nina, after they witnessed the suffering of animals on their travels through North Africa.

The Brooke

Our History

From humble beginnings as a hospital for ex-warhorses in a dusty Cairo street founded in 1934, the Brooke has become the leading international welfare charity for working equine welfare.

On arrival in Egypt in 1930, Dorothy Brooke was horrified to see hundreds of emaciated horses being used as beasts of burden on the streets of Cairo.