Which clip...?

Would you worry if your children smoked?

• Total voters

SummerStorm

Visit site
Self explanatory, really
smile.gif

I've got a Connemara pony who will be in moderate work this winter. Usual week is:

2 days schooling (40mins - a fair amount in trot/canter)
2/3 days hacking (fairly fast but not crazy)
1 day competing (local level shows, poss 1 or 2 days affiliated per year)
1 day off

Last year he had a chaser clip and was fine with it although he was in a bit less work than he will be this year. However, I've had 'advice' from the yard and several other friends who have suggested everything from a full clip to not taking anything off at all!
confused.gif

so...

answers on a postcard please
laugh.gif

~SF x

Tia

Visit site
Chaser - keeps him warm whilst out in the field but should be good to do a fair amount of exercise. I personally dislike blanket clips and would always go for a chaser any day, even if it means taking it particularly high and clipping off all the neck.

I almost always clip Chaser unless the horse is competing numerous times a week and then I take it all off for first clip and then Chaser every clip thereafter.

flyingfeet

Visit site
No matter what mine are up to they all get the same weird clip!

Its a hunter clip, but I leave the head and take out the saddle patch. I cannot stand numnahs full of hair, so clip the saddle patch and use poofy numnahs.

However mine are stabled at night and have snug 400g rugs & hoods.

Tia

Visit site
A Chaser clip takes off more hair than a Trace clip - think of Point-to-Pointers if you want to know what it looks like.
smile.gif

Cobnut1

Visit site
At the riding school where i worked many years ago....(makes me sound old...I'm not..honest!!) all our horses had the same clip...a Poll to Stifle...don't know the proper name for this or if indeed there is a proper name for it, but it goes in a straight line from the Poll to the Stifle, takes off all the hair on the underside of the neck, and belly, leaves the hair on where it's needed most (on the back) leave some hair on the upper part of the neck and on the legs.... if need be at a later date you can remove the rest of the hair from the neck, but ours worked well with this. I clipped the old horse that I ride with this last year and it also worked well with him.

Claireg9

Visit site
Id say whip it all off, you can keep evenly warm with rugs and ensure he does not get chilled by getting sweaty!
Much easier to keep clean too, you can leave on legs for protection and face!