Which clippers for a small pony?

michelledud

Visit site
I've clipped my 11.2 for the first time this winter, initially a trace clip in October, and today a full clip.

I've found it sooo much harder than clipping a big horse, (if you've only ever clipped big ponies and horses rather than small ponies I'm not sure you'll understand my problem? 😢) because it's such a struggle to do any areas other than his upper sides and bum with clippers due to the length and width of the actual clippers.

So I tried to clip him with little trimmers but they wouldn't go through his hairy mammoth-like coat.

I tried to clip the bits I could with clippers and the fiddly bits with trimmers - unfortunately the trimmers won't clip to the same coat length as the clippers (trimmers leave him either bald or 3mm coat length, the clippers clipped to about 1.5mm) so although he is now clipped it isn't a good neat finish 😫😫😫😫😫

So what do people with little ponies and/or miniatures use????

I've borrowed clippers up to now and want to hopefully minimise/eradicate this problem by buying my own for next winter. Any advice/suggestions for clippers welcome....

Thanks xxx

WelshD

Visit site
I use Wolsley Swift normal size mains clippers on my dinky 11.2, there are spots where I have to go in at an angle even 90 degrees but the clip comes out fine

I do have a moser artico trimmer which is pretty meaty power-wise and narrower than the swifts and will tackle a clip but it does take longer

fatpiggy

Visit site
I have a set of Wahl Stable Pro clippers which I used to do trace clips on my 15.2hh mare without any problem - they would be perfect for small ponies or the nervous nellies are they are incredibly quiet. I'm happy to sell if you are interested as my horse was PTS 2 years ago and I'm not having one again. PM if you want to know more.

michelledud

Visit site
Hi.
I've looked at the Stable Pro previously but discounted them as thought they were more of a trimmer. I need something that will get through his yeti-like winter coat and will clip his delicately-featured little face, leaving no lines (ha ha who am I trying to kid!!) and leaving the hair on his body and face the same length 😁