Which do you prefer riding?

amzy

Visit site
An unpredictable spooky horse type because you like the adrenalin rush
ooo.gif
or a quiet predictable type that bats an eyelid at nothing? Or would that be boring?

SummerStorm

Visit site
Unpredictable please
smile.gif

ETS: Well, not something suicidly dangerous but I do prefer having something with a bit of cheekiness about them... gives me an (albeit weak) excuse when I fall of them...
blush.gif
grin.gif

Haflinger

Visit site
In the middle! I like something that you can work on and improve with quite a bit of character (not saying that been there done that horses are dull!)

I wouldn't stand for a horse that was dangerous to me or anyone else.

RachelB

Visit site
Well mine is meant to be a "quiet predictable type that bats an eyelid at nothing", which is fine because I need a confidence giver and one that I can get on with and do stuff... but today she was a complete fruit cake (ragingly in season and just clipped, hacking on a cold morning), which was quite fun! She spun around at a 'tree felling' sign in the woods, which usually would bother me but I know really she wouldn't do anything dangerous. So... a bit of both!
smile.gif

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
I have nearly always ridden spooky horses, I would feel weird not riding one but then again Molly does drive me nuts sometimes. What I can't ride is a lazy horse, if they don't feel like they are enjoying it then I can't either.

Benefice1

Visit site
My horse is definately the first option (although not because i like the adrenalin rush!!
crazy.gif
) and my friends horse is the second option. When my boy is spooking and jogging etc i sometimes wish that he was more dopey like my friends horse but most of the time i wouldnt change him at all!

I wouldnt say that quiet and predictable is boring, it depends what you want the horse for and how confident a rider you are.

M

madabout2

Prefer forward thinking which can be unpredictable - but not psycho -

SSM

Visit site
This is for Parisienne Girl - A Cleveland Bay
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Don't mind a horse that pulls and is strong but am not keen on spookers that see hedge monsters the entire ride.

miamibear

Visit site
I think it depends on the type of person you are. I lost my confidence a few months back and my friend tried to get it through to me i didnt want a total plodder just something that was trustworthy. If i had a plod she could see me getting bored in a few months when i got my confidence back, of course i couldnt see me ever getting to this stage!

Now he isnt a plodder when i dont want him to be, he shies occasionally but he is trustworthy and i do trust him!

Perfect!! For me anyway but as i have said everyone is individual!!

teapot

Visit site
A happy medium or leaning towards a nice safe ride. Doesn't have to be a total plod but something I can relax on. As dont like having the opportunity to dent what little confidence I've got

JACQSZOO

Visit site
This subject always gets my goat I'm afraid. A well behaved, well mannered horse is not a plod nor is it boring! Surely the whole point of us schooliing and trying to improve is to have a horse, whom at the end of it is sensible and well behaved!

Parkranger

Visit site
Totally agree - really spooky horses are boring in my opinion - never enjoy a good fast gallop as you're always thinking they're going to go in the opposite direction! Spend the whole time fighting them rather than enjoying riding.

Prefer my stead to be forward going and excitable but not scared of it's own shadow!

Farm Kat

Visit site
Totally agree Vicstress, I have a complete lazy loon, naps, spins, bolts, jumps anything that is in his way, and has a full injury record (has been off for a year, twice!) you never fully relax, one onward bound pony, which is fine by me, runs off when he is bored, but hey, walk IS boring, and one complete gem, hates water, but goes anywhere, I don't find him boring, just too wide for my legs and he's only 13.2! you never have to think twice with him, just get on and do it.

I wouldn't change them all for anything tho, spooky monster is great at competitions, when he's sound.

emma69

Visit site
Something that is well behaved and well schooled please! My days of riding the nutters has been and gone, I like my limbs where they are. I have no problem riding something that has bad habits, such as can't bend / green jumper / baby etc, but I don't need the buckers / bolters / rearers thanks!

threeponies

Visit site
My mare doesn't bat an eyelid at anything and is worth her wight in gold. I'm past the stage where I can be bothered with jumpy about horses, I'm too old and have a young daughter to think of. OMG I've turned into my mother!!

hussar

Visit site
Unpredictable - to a degree. I've always had 'on their toes' horses and find them fun, but sometimes, like today, I'd happily trade them in for a beach pony. I don't know whether it's the grass, or because he's been clipped, or what, but my youngster even spooked today at stones he'd kicked forward himself into puddles ... and as for the dyed brown sheep he sees every day - today they were horse-eating monsters.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
This subject always gets my goat I'm afraid. A well behaved, well mannered horse is not a plod nor is it boring! Surely the whole point of us schooliing and trying to improve is to have a horse, whom at the end of it is sensible and well behaved!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoo bloody ray! The voice of reason!
WHen you spend your summer going to county shows and end up in a tent at the NEC, the last thing you want is a spooky horse. Quiet does NOT mean predictable, boring and suitable only for the over 80s.

JessPickle

Visit site
I like predictable horses, I definetly dont aspire to have a horse that is spooky!!! pickle is a bit spooky but we are working on it. I would choose a predictable horse over an unpredictable horse every time. Just because they are predictable doesnt mean they are boring

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I like bringing on horses to be well schooled and well discipled. It gives me a sense of achievement. I don't find spooky something I would say was a good quality in a horse, which is unpredictable. Nor would I say any horse is ever predictible!

Nickymac

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely agree with that. All my horses are well behaved, polite and a pleasure to ride - that doesn't make them boring!

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more: mine are all those things yet they still show their personality. They are never dull but they know where the line is drawn as far as what is acceptable and what is unacceptable.

PinkFairy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
something in between. safe but fun
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly! quiet horses are lovely but nothing beats a bit of excitement in a lesson!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Personally I enjoy my gypsy cobs - forward going, fun and above all well behaved nearly all the time. They can jog along fired up ready to go, or in an instant go on a long rein while you enjoy a relaxing ride.

I have had spooky horses in the past and can honestly say a well schooled horse with a sparkle is worth its weight in gold. Riding flat out when a patch of grass sends you flying off to the side is not really all that fun.

A horse that does not spook is not boring.

Our clydie Cairo is steady and easy going - very safe but still has his moments with those who enjoy them, and a clydie going sideways with froth and feather flying is rather spectacular to see.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I love both. One of mine is VERY spooky and unpredictable, the other is bombproof, I love them both in their different ways. The unpredictable is of course more challenging, but fun.