Which Feed Balancer

wiglet

Visit site
At the moment my ISH just gets a token feed of a handful of chaff with a carrot or apple, so I can put her calmer in :) Am thinking it might be better just to give her the calmer with a feed balancer... but which one?

My feed merchant stocks Top Spec, Top Spec Lite, all the Spillers balancers and Baileys LoCal. She's on decent grass, is a good doer and doesn't need anymore weight on her. Have used Top Spec before so am thinking of the 'Lite' version BUT, have been told I could feed the normal TopSpec at half measures for a good doer and this will work out cheaper?

Or shall I used another brand altogether? Decisons, decisions... any/all comments welcome :)

Follysmum

Visit site
I have just had the same dilemma!! All horses been on Pure Feeds for a while and have I been quite happy, we have really good grass, they are all do well, so just wanted to give a token feed to ensure all vits and mins were given.

Having researched alot this week, asked lots of questions I have decided to go with Progressive Earths Pro Balancer along side Hi Fi Molasses free and a little Fast Fibre to wet it down.

TwoStroke

Visit site
Forage plus or Pro Hoof/Pro Balance in a blob of fast fibre. If the calmer's magnesium based, you may be able to drop that, too.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Well until recently I had been feeding Blue Chip but it's rather expensive so I've just switched Kal to Bailey's Lo Cal balancer . . . he's on very good grass, is fed ERS Pellets which is rich in oil/should give him enough energy and gets micronized linseed when he is competing so I thought he was getting enough "help" condition-wise (he also gets unmolassed chaff and MSM). It's early days, but I would say that he's doing fine on it (and he's in quite hard work).

P

wiglet

Visit site
Thanks for the replies :)
I actually feed Pro Hoof to my other horse (veteran TB) but I'm not sure about using it for my ISH because her calmer is a powder and the ProHoof is powder.... she literally only gets a handful of chaff and that'll be a lot of powder!!

Unless I ditch the chaff and just try it with a blob of FF... Would ProHoof be a complete balancer or would I need to add linseed or something?

TwoStroke

Visit site
Yep, Pro Hoof's a complete balancer. Micronised linseed is recommended for the omega oil content (for any horse) for times when there is limited access to fresh grass, or in winter when the nutrients are lower. It's not something that has to be fed with pro hoof, or anything like that.