Which Livery?

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Okay. We're investigating two yards for our (soon to be) cobs, and can't decide which one we prefer! We're looking for:

A short drive from home,
A school, preferably sand, indoor or outdoor,
A dry area to tack up or groom,
Plenty of grazing, as we'll be full turnout all year round.

Here're what the yards are like-

Livery 1:
Big sand school, not too enclosed.
A barn with plenty of room for tieing, even if you're not paying for a stable.
Very relaxed YO.
15 minute drive from home.
5 minute hack from Ashton court, which is awesome.
The fields are AGES away from the menage and stabling. Absolutely ages.
We know it. (the area)
They have their own jumps in the arena that you can use.

Livery 2:
Grazing only a minute away from stabling and school.
There might not be anywhere dry to groom and feed.
Lovely menage.
LOADS of off-road hacking.
We know some people there.
Really over-the-top YO. :/
You must de-poop the fields every day, and the arena, and rake it.
Far away from Ashton Court!!!
20 minute drive from home.

Which sounds best?

kerrylou123

Visit site
id say number one! I couldnt be doing with an over the top YO! Id also prefer the idea of having somewhere to tie and groom my horse when i want, even without a stable!

filly190

Visit site
Yard one sounds perfect for handling your horse, however if the fields are miles away, your time spent walking backwards and forwards is'nt a very nice thought.

I would personally like everything on site.

Yard Two - No dry area - if they are taking in more people, would they consider improving their facitilies and knocking something up. I like the paddock being close idea better than yard one.

Yard two further away from the place mentioned, if you have a box, no problem.

They both have good plus and minus points.

In the balance, if you could errect a field shelter in yard one, that may be the better option.

Tufty

Visit site
defo number 1 unless the pull of knowing people on yard 2 is bigger and you think you would have more fun with them, at least with OTT yard owners you dont tend to get much arguing between liveries as they are all so busy moaning about OTT yard owner !

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
"when you ashton court do you mean SORCY ashton court?"

They do have shows there :3 I walked in one one once, by accident xD I was walking the mutt in the wood and heard hooves and a commentator, so ran to stare in envy at the gorgeous lil ponies
laugh.gif

It's basically a big public estate! Absolutely amazing to ride in!!!

mandy4727

Visit site
Write a list of all the things that are important to you. And then give them marks out of 10. I did that when I was looking for a new yard. Sad I know!!!!!!!!. ie long walk from stable would get 0 out of 10 but the area to tie up in would get a 9. But also look at type of fencing, turnout arrangements, arrangements if you can't get to yard cos of bad weather, rent charges, grazing, winter turnout arrangements etc etc. Plus you can always buy a little shed to lock if they will let you put one up.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Is No1 the one at Failand? I looked at that one for my horse and I remember that some of the fields were miles from the stables... but I really liked it. I was going to move him there but I had a bit of a career change and ended up moving away from Bristol altogether so it never came off. Fields miles from the stables isn't too bad because you can always ride the ponies back and forth bareback which is nice for a bit of 'bonding time'.

I couldn't cope with the arena raking and poo picking rules. They seem a bit OTT. Raking an arena everyday would take longer than riding out to distant fields plus there would be endless rows about people not doing their share etc. My vote would be for No1

annaellie

Visit site
No 1 sounds the best but if the fields are a good way you need to look at what your horses are like to turn out. Could you pm me were them yards are as am still looking for somewhere thanks.