Which oil?

jodiew

Visit site
Hi all, i have heard that some people at oil to there horses feeds, now this may seem like a very stupid question but which oil do you use and why?

Thanks

Jodie

xx

Rambo

Visit site
Soya Oil as it provides slow release energy and also improves coat condition. You can use different oils too though for the same result
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I alwaysed used corn oil and linsead oil (once a week only for linsead).

But according to Spillers Soya Oil is the best to use.

jodiew

Visit site
lol yeah sometimes i just think people will think that i should no this stuff! lol

I think i am going to try him on the Soya oil, some one mentioned it to be about 6weeks ago but he had a runny bum but we have now solved that as it was the haylege so there was no point in putting it in, but all is back to normal noo do want to try it.

How much do you feed and how often? he is a 17h thoughbred x, that could do with more condition and weight?

jodiew

Visit site
He gets spillers conditing mix and cubes, and chop i cant for the life of me think of what the chop is called.

Some one else said it works sout cheaper to buy the oil seperate?

Sorry i am totally dumb to the whole feeding world!

vickers22

Visit site
i use vegetable, vet told me it was just as good as any other. I get the cheapest one from the supermarket and add about a cupful(half to morning half to night)

eekmon

Visit site
Ive been feeding my oldie corn oil this winter as he dropped a bit of wieght, as reccomended by a few on here. What are your reasons for wanting to feed it in the first place? Is it for a specific reason? That may determine what sort of oil you need/want
smile.gif

jodiew

Visit site
he is lacking in condition an could do with a bit more weight on him as he doesnt seem to be doing to well in the winter.

air78

www.ctwequine.com
I feed an omega oil blend (Naf i think). I choose this because i thought the omega content helped with health i.e cell renewal, brain function etc. the same as in humans, as well as putting on condition and energy from calories.
To my way of thinking any other veg oils just provide calories for energy and weight gain (and a shiney coat!).
This could be wrong though
confused.gif

dressagespain

Visit site
BOG STANDARD sunflower oil. For a shiny coat. I use a vitamin and glucosamin supplement as well.

Money saving tip - I also use it on feet with a few drops of aloe vera - MUCH cheaper than hoof oil and it works!!

ThomasTank

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
he is lacking in condition an could do with a bit more weight on him as he doesnt seem to be doing to well in the winter.

[/ QUOTE ]OOhh Linseed would do just the job
grin.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
can you just buy Soya Oil from any horsey shop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes....or supermarkets if you want to save money
smile.gif

idefixbis

Visit site
I have used marksway cod liver oil. I know it is animal based but it works really well for a shiny coat.
I feed alfa a oil which is the brilliant. Very shiny coat, fibre based, condition without heating. My horse was really hot headed last winter on D&H conditioning mix. This winter on alfa a oil he is so much calmer and has just as good if not better condition.

hussar

Visit site
I feed bog-standard Tesco veg oil for slow-release energy and coat condition. If your horse is in very hard work, you can feed up to 1/4 pint a day (introduce gradually!) but if you do give that much you should also add Vitamin E and selenium to the feed, as the oil inhibits the absorption of these.

jodiew

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i get my soya oil from tescos, much cheaper than from feed merchants, 99p a bottle
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Right thats me going to Tesco on Friday when i get paid
smile.gif
smile.gif