which rider?

rossiroo

Visit site
After watching badminton I was wondering which rider you would choose to ride your horse, and who you would not like to ride them, (just for fun) around the cross-country, personally I would pick Piggy French to ride, Karen O'Connor not to.

Supertrooper

Visit site
I would pick mark todd, laura collett, nicola wilson, mary king, andrew nicholson, the german lady (sorry it's appauling I can't remember her name)

I wouldn't like ingrid or the german guy who's horse was knackered xx

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
Mary King and Andrew Nicholson!

MK as I grew up wanting to be her and AN as after riding the XC he was of Nereo and grabbing buckets to cool him down and get him as comfortable as possible even before undoing his own chin strap!

Puppy

Visit site
Mary King and Andrew Nicholson!

MK as I grew up wanting to be her and AN as after riding the XC he was of Nereo and grabbing buckets to cool him down and get him as comfortable as possible even before undoing his own chin strap!

Blimey, I wouldn't let AN within a mile of my horses... ;)

Lauren Shannon, Nicola Wilson, WFP (of course!), Laura Collett, oh, and er, Toddy! :D

Puppy

Visit site
I'd pick Caroline Powell - the bits we saw of her rounds looked copybook :)

Would not pick Matthew Wright or Oli T

Doh! Of course, I forgot about Caroline. Yes, I'll add her to my list too :D

And agree with you on the second point too ;) But I didn't need to watch this year's Badders to feel that way...

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
For my fizzy, XC-adoring mare, Lucinda F, Piggy French or Nicola Wilson.

For my capable, but can be lazy now and again gelding, WFP, Andrew N or Ollie.

For either of them, Mary King or Pippa Funnell.

OneInAMillion

Visit site
WFP as he likes a horse he needs to kick not pull! Wouldn't want Andreas Ostholt/Ingrid Klimke to ride him, he is far too precious. Also would love Ruth Edge to ride him, she could bring out his good dressage and she is VERY positive XC which is what D needs!

kerilli

Visit site
Toddy or WFP. Nobody else.
I won't say who I wouldn't want near my horses but quite a few of them, unfortunately!
It's v difficult to say based just on what we see of riders in public... there are top riders who ride beautifully and get great results who I would not choose, based on things I've seen behind the scenes etc... :( :(

Lolo

Visit site
Toddy or WFP. Nobody else.
I won't say who I wouldn't want near my horses but quite a few of them, unfortunately!
It's v difficult to say based just on what we see of riders in public... there are top riders who ride beautifully and get great results who I would not choose, based on things I've seen behind the scenes etc... :( :(

Mhm- after seeing one fall yesterday my mum commented "I wouldn't want to be that horse off camera"- saw some not-very-nice behaviour for far less elsewhere!

I'd like Alice Pearson, because she rides Beau Bear so beautifully and Reg is very similar- bit of a worrier but lots of scope, talent and generosity if you get it right. Or WFP, simply because he'd make Reg look very small!

Does anyone know what's happening with Cool Mountain and WFP? Because he left a leg...

Allover

Visit site
Mark Todd..............or Mary King, as even if you put her on a 3 legged donkey she would still look like she was having a great time and give it a cuddle when she got off :D

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I would probably pick someone less known who builds good relationships with their horses (a more 'amateur' competitor) such as James Robinson (is that his name?!) the one with comanche.

My horse is forgiving and honest (although obviously not round a 4* course!) and I would pick someone easy going who liked giving lots of pats, not someone who rides their horses into the ground :)

Missadelaide

Visit site
I would pick either Lucinda or Mary King. Both very sympathetic riders. I worked for the Fredericks a while back and Lucinda was always very gentle and soft with the horses, so I would pick her every time.

kerilli

Visit site
I would pick either Lucinda or Mary King. Both very sympathetic riders. I worked for the Fredericks a while back and Lucinda was always very gentle and soft with the horses, so I would pick her every time.

that's really good to hear. i thought LF looked phenomenal yesterday, never seen her ride better, and that mare is just phenomenal, worthy follow up to the wonderful Brit.
okay, i'll add LF to my very short list! ;) ;)

bigboyrocky

Visit site
Either Nicholson, WFP, Toddy or Lucinda fredricks - so balanced and quiet, yet really strong riders. Ooh and Piggy and Nicola Wilson are also fab XC riders...

Dont think Rocky would react well to someone like Oli T, but that doesnt mean i dont think he does a good job on his horses. Not to keen on Mary's style either anymore.

Last edited:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Apparently Polly Stockton has had a sit on Murph! His previous owners are friends of the Clarks and Polly helped with some schooling, I doubt she would want to take him round Badminton though.:p

kerilli

Visit site
K, do you happen to know what's happened to Little Brit?

they are saving her for a crack at London 2012 I believe. I guess she might have to do a 4* this year to get her quals up again? She has nothing left to prove, won 3 big 4*s on the trot iirc... so, just a case of keeping her happy and sound and then saving her for the really big target, I guess. Prada is the back-up option afaik, and is super-class, I loved seeing them go xc together. She looks easier xc than Brit too!

kerilli

Visit site
Either Nicholson, WFP, Toddy or Lucinda fredricks - so balanced and quiet, yet really strong riders. Ooh and Piggy and Nicola Wilson are also fab XC riders...

Dont think Rocky would react well to someone like Oli T, but that doesnt mean i dont think he does a good job on his horses. Not to keen on Mary's style either anymore.

Actually, I thought Mary rode more sympathetically with her hands than i've seen for a long time. Her uber-defensive seat is ingrained but when she gives with her hands it's great, I just can't stand watching when she doesn't, esp on Apache Sauce (who might be a bit hysterical about it, not sure, he seems to react very strongly to it, inverting a lot.) I thought she looked like pure class again this week.

vallin

Visit site
Do they have to be a this years Badders rider? If not Francis Wittington, if so Comanches rider (James Robinson?)-not neccessarily the biggest names, but always calm and generous (infront of the cameras at least!)

Puppy

Visit site
they are saving her for a crack at London 2012 I believe. I guess she might have to do a 4* this year to get her quals up again? She has nothing left to prove, won 3 big 4*s on the trot iirc... so, just a case of keeping her happy and sound and then saving her for the really big target, I guess. Prada is the back-up option afaik, and is super-class, I loved seeing them go xc together. She looks easier xc than Brit too!

Ahh, right, cheers. Glad to hear that we ought to see her back in action again this year. :) I do love a feisty little mare ;)

This has got me thinking, I wonder what the 2012 Aussie team would be....?

diggerbez

Visit site
i would say toddy... i think (from watching him ride and teach and from having a lesson with him) that he is firm but very fair...which is all i would want from a rider... for the girls probably someone like nicola wilson or caroline powell... :)
there are a lot more who i wouldn't let within a mile of my horse...even though they are clearly talented and successful, i just don't like how they get there.... ;)