Which RS for 5yo just starting? - Park View, Mere Lane, Witham Villa, Hardwicke Lodge

becca1305

Visit site
Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone local with experience of any of these Riding Schools could help advise the best one for a 5yo just starting to ride really.

Hardwicke and Witham are the most convenient, but others listed are a doable distance.

I want to start taking my cousin's little boy to riding lessons this summer as he adores riding mine - he's been having occasional rides since he was 3 years old but they are just too big for him. He is 5 years old but big for his age (size 8 clothes), he is also sporty by nature and bold (but obviously want to protect his fab confidence!) he happily pilots my 16hh mare round in walk by himself and loves it when I run alongside her and she jogs for him going over trotting poles and 'jumps' (tiny x-poles that she steps over). I would love for him to be able to ride a pony more a suitable size for him so he can do a bit more and start to work on his trot etc - no chance floating round in a 17.5 inch saddle his feet only just come below the flaps on and on a 16hh horse! If he loves it I would look to get him involved in the Pony Club later on, so a Riding School that also does PC activities would be preferred. Other suggestions welcomed - around Blaby ideally if further away north not south as I live near L'boro and will have to travel to Blaby to collect him but possibly if in between us his mum could drop him off/pick him up, and advice on any places to avoid also welcome :).

Sorry just realised should have put LEICs in title as E.Mids board not a Leics board - doh!

Last edited:

bex1984

Visit site
Hardwicke! Fun, friendly, happy safe ponies, they run pony club and have shows for the rs kids. They teach from complete beginners upwards and I've hadlessons oon my own pony there too. They're running camps this summer, lots going on :)

becca1305

Visit site
Ooh one of each! They are the two nearest so fab! I think I am edging towards Witham Villa as they offer 1/2 hour class sessions at a reasonable price (£12.50) and I think 1/2 hour is plenty for him when starting off.

My concern with Hardwicke is they either offer 1 hour group lesson at £18 or 1/2 hour private at £20 - 1 hour is a bit too much for him for now but he definitely doesn't need private lessons yet! However the Pony Club evening 1 hour for £5 sounds fantastic for when he is a bit older and if he really gets into it but if he likes one riding school and makes friends with the kids/ponies there I wouldn't want to move him later unless I had to!

Ahhh choices choices! other opinions/ experiences on these two and the other riding schools listed welcome! :)

whizzer

Visit site
I've various friends who've used witham,hardwick & high cross & they've spoken highly of all off them.

RainbowDash

Visit site
Hi,

I don't know any of these schools but why don't you visit them on a busy day and watch a couple of the lessons? Get a feel for the place, instructors and ponies? You know your cousin's boy best - the one best on paper may not be best for him :)

I was recommended three different RS before I started riding again - I went along watched (the first of the morning), chatted to spectators and those waiting for their lessons and narrowed it down to one - where I now keep my own pony x

horsesinsideout

New User
Visit site
After personally keeping my horse at Park View for 15 years, learning there myself and knowing the owners very well I wouldn't hesitate to recommend PV!
Charlie herself has two young children and has taught them to be incredibly capable young riders. They run an official Pony Club there where non-horse owning children get the opportunity to compete, earn their badges etc and they have some beautiful hacking too...

I would definitely give them a try :)