Which rug?

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have a ridiculous amount of rugs. Its an amalgamation from the last few horses which have all been a similar size, but I just dont need all these rugs! They are also not quite the right size for my current pony. So I'm thinking about selling them all and getting some sort of rug and liner system. The pony is only 14.2hh but is incredibly broad across the chest with a deep rib cage. Broader than my HW proper cob! So which brands suit that sort of horse? I dont mind paying out for a decent rug if it lasts, especially as the new pony is very civilised and doesnt wreck her rugs!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
My 14.2 highland takes a 6'9 and the only make that doesnt look like a mini skirt on him is a Horseware Amigo. He is almost as difficult to fit a rug to as a saddle!!

McFluff

Visit site
I have my very broad cob in 6’3” Rambo duo with liners. Very good rug and seems to give her room where she needs it. They’re lasting very well indeed.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My little cob isn’t as big as yours (you may have seen the coloured on my Facebook?)
He has a Rambo duo which is 100g and a Amigo Bravo lite. Plus several other turnouts but I can guarantee these are the only two I’ll use this winter. He also has 100,200, 300 liners and I recently in a sale got the fleece one so I can chuck it in and turn straight out after work (🤞he works again one day 😂)
He’s sorted. Love them and yes they were all quite expensive but a real investment

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We have rambos and rhinos with the v-neck which seems to suit the skinny horse and the wide horse but the wide horse does have to go up a size in a rhino because it sits forwards then doesn't cover his bum. He isn't as wide as bobbie though but if I had to start again I'd be getting a rambo and liners ;)

Leo Walker

Visit site
My 14.2 highland takes a 6'9 and the only make that doesnt look like a mini skirt on him is a Horseware Amigo. He is almost as difficult to fit a rug to as a saddle!!

shes only 6ft so I feel better now!

Lots of votes for Rambo so I'm off to terrify myself at the price of them :oops:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Amigos are too slender necked for my highlands and my late cob. I used to use Mark Todds on the cob, but I've also had Rambos, Ruggles and Premier Equines - there are issues with all of them. PE weigh a tonne, and cost a fortune. Rambos cost a fortune, ruggles don't do liner systems... I quite fancy the Kramer liner systems, but I haven't tried them out yet - and it would be for the mare now anyway (highlands are going feral this winter!).

(eta thank heavens both my 14,2 highlands are also 6 footers - as was my 15hh cob and is my 15,2 QH... Literally everything shares!)

catkin

Visit site
Shires and Weatherbeeta have been good fits for my Welsh D and Fell.
I have found that designs with gussets at the shoulders seem to fit these wide-fronted types

JJS

Visit site
Mary and May both have Shires rugs ready for this winter, in 6ft 3 and 6ft respectively. Mary has been in them for the last two winters without a problem, and she's a pretty substantial girl. All four of mine wear these and have the liners to go with them. They don't cost a bomb either!

Lintel

Visit site
I think you should keep all your rugs... make the rest of us rug hoarders feel better.
All joking aside my highlands best fitting rugs are Derby House 😯
But Shires also fit him well and Rambo/rhino.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mary and May both have Shires rugs ready for this winter, in 6ft 3 and 6ft respectively. Mary has been in them for the last two winters without a problem, and she's a pretty substantial girl. All four of mine wear these and have the liners to go with them. They don't cost a bomb either!

I've got one shires rug with a liner but have never ever managed to find anymore liners for them. Where did you get yours??

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've just found them. Must be a newish thing they have started doing. Thank you JJS you have just saved me about £400! I am still selling all the others though but I can just buy a couple of liners for my existing one. I am slightly concerned she will grow again seeing as shes grown 2" since she arrived and has rudely outgrown my carriages so probably best to hang off on the uber expensive rugs for a year or so :rolleyes:

JJS

Visit site
I've just found them. Must be a newish thing they have started doing. Thank you JJS you have just saved me about £400! I am still selling all the others though but I can just buy a couple of liners for my existing one. I am slightly concerned she will grow again seeing as shes grown 2" since she arrived and has rudely outgrown my carriages so probably best to hang off on the uber expensive rugs for a year or so :rolleyes:

Glad I could help! If I remember rightly, they brought the liners out in Mary's first winter with me, so that will have been two years ago. Mine have lasted really well so far, and have made such a difference to the number of rugs I've needed to buy over the last couple of winters.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I quite fancy the Kramer liner systems, but I haven't tried them out yet - and it would be for the mare now anyway (highlands are going feral this winter!).

As far as I can work out the Kramer ones are a direct copy but about 25% of the price! They do seem to have some of their on branded rugs saying made my Horsewear etc as well. They are on my list for purchasing when I'm feeling rich, as I have no need for one now but I'd quite like to see what they are like. But that sort of thinking is how I ended up with hundreds of rugs in the first place, arggh!!

SEL

Visit site
If you buy Shires then try on over a liner in case you need to return it. I know M is at the far end of 'broad' but even on the Highlander rainsheet it's tight when his head is down to graze

Leo Walker

Visit site
If you buy Shires then try on over a liner in case you need to return it. I know M is at the far end of 'broad' but even on the Highlander rainsheet it's tight when his head is down to graze

Thats a good point actually. I've got Shires and my liner one is actually her size but I've not tried it on her.

I'm itching for a excuse to buy that Kramer one now, so wont be the end of the world if they dont fit.