Which saddle do you use to x country?

Princecharming

Visit site
All in the title really. I just use a Jeffries Hawk Event saddle but am interested to see what everyone else uses. To me the Jeffries event is very much like a gp. My horse is 17 hands and I'm not small but I'm not over big either, I'm just under 5 foot 7 and about 9 stone so I'm not a lot of rider on his back and at times I don't feel like my saddle is supportive enough in x country. I do have quite long legs though so need to take this into consideration. Just interested to hear different views on saddles before I take the plunge and shell out a lot of money!! We have been competing 90 fine, and now are into 100 and it's now that I feel I need something a little more substantial.

charlimouse

Visit site
Murphy (the grey) has an Antares monoflap, and Jem (the bay) uses a Bates close contact. The Antares is amazing, but is pretty pricey :rolleyes:. The Bates however I find very good for the price, and I did ride my previous horse round 1* tracks in it no problem :). The customer service from both companies is also very good :D!

Javabb94

Visit site
I just got rid of a Jeffries falcon hawk event and got an ideal impala pro monoflap

It's super secure and I'm 5ft 11 and my knees are fine on it very comfy also

It also comes with matching Calfskin girth and calfskin stirrup leathers

PickledOnions

Visit site
This season I'm using a gfs pro event GP which I adore! Its so comfy and even when dougal trys to jump me off.. The saddle helps me to stay on!
Last year I used a GFS pro event jump saddle, which I also loved but the seat was slightly too big for me so I kept slipping in it and never truly felt 100% secure in it. I recently rode in it again actually and having been on my smaller seated saddle, it felt so weird!

alwaysbroke

Visit site
A Barnsby Xtreem mono flap and a Heritage custom made (not for me so bought it for peanuts) buffalo hide and doe skin close contact jumping saddle, will probably ea my words when I xc school on Friday, but it really helps stick-ability! Used to use a Stubben Genesis with Biomex seat which I loved but pony has changed shape:rolleyes:

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
When I sold my horse early last year, I had been riding him in a Pessoa AMO but it was too wide for my new horse - my hubby bought it as a wedding present so it has taken a year to convince him I need to change it :)

Anyway, I now have an albion K2 jump, its totally different to the pessoa which is much more a SJ saddle as has virtually no knee rolls at all!

It took me a couple of days riding to get used to the albion, which is very forward cut and has large knee and thigh rolls - i find it extremely comfortable now too - and I could afford it which was a bonus!

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
I have a Kent & Master Jump saddle, which is basically a leather Thorowgood- it has the Thorowgood tree and changeable gullets which is very handy for horses changing shape (even just between winter and summer depending on fitness). Really rated by my (very picky!) saddler and only £750 new.

It is pretty forward cut and the blocks are on velcro, so you can move them to suit or even change them completely for different shapes/sizes.

pi_1619.jpeg

Princecharming

Visit site
Hmmm food for thought. I've been looking at the Devoucoux Chiberta. Will obviously get saddle new and fitted to him as have heard some horrid stories about getting them wrong... I also rode my other horse in someones black country and that was really nice... Bit of a difference in price there but if it fits it fits hey...

chels

Visit site
I ride in a Prestige Eventing, love it! I also am small ish on a big horse, keeps me really secure :)

saz5083

Visit site
Black country quantum. Love it and not too expensive. Very supportive without feeling too locked in, if that makes sense!

walker1234

Visit site
Another vote for the albion k2 close contact. The knee and thigh rolls are amazing and really do help you stay in the saddle.

They do seem to keep their value too looking at the prices on ebay.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I have an Albion K2 GP which I absolutely love jumping in. I am 6ft but have recently worked out I am freakishly short from hip to knee, so although I have long legs, I don't go off the front of most saddles when I ride short! My Dad is near enough the same height as me, sat in my GP with longer stirrup than I normally ride in and his knee were miles off the front of the saddle!!
Originally I wanted a Jump saddle, but I felt I swam around in the ones that fitted my horse, so I ended up with my GP, which for now, does it's job perfectly!!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Same one as I do dressage and SJ in :p It's a 'Silhouette' saddle, think it's the event one but it's that ancient and about fourth hand, so who knows? :p It suits me though, I'm quite midgety and need a narrow, flat-seated saddle, which it is.

Used to love my old Thorowgood though - sadly they seem to have stopped making it (Robert Whitaker one?) - else I'dve got a bigger one for Wibbles. That must be 8 now too... Still got it though, in the hope that I have another midgety-twiglet-pony to fit it, as it was just right for me :p

KatB

Visit site
Also got a single flap Equipe Expression. Know a LOT of people in our area who use them, including several pro riders with multiple horses. They seem to fit everything, and suit a lot of different shapes and sizes. I'm tallish, but with short legs (!) and LOVE mine :) Also one of very few my mare would accept....!!

tigers_eye

Visit site
I use a Tolga xc monoflap, they are a Belgian make, not sure if they have a distributor in the UK, but it's very nice. They are a bit cheaper than Devoucoux etc, but in the 4 figures. Surprised no-one has mentioned Butet yet!

DSC08920.jpg

Dizzyblonde99

Visit site
The best saddle I've ever ridden in was a butet XC one (http://www.sederholmselected.co.uk/product_p/buspec1-xc-c.htm), was extremly comfy and well yeah I loved it! But seeing as I don't have £3000 to spend on a saddle my horse has the GFS pro event wich is really comfy, like an arm chair! I do tend to stick my leg too far forward in it when I flat but thats probably a personal thing.

Fairy Dust

Visit site
BUTET!!! the xc model, best saddle I have ever sat in! Yes they are very expensive but much better than devoucoux IMO and much better customer service! :)

georgiegirl

Visit site
I use a bates momentum for sj and xc (and dressage too until I can fork out for a dr saddle!! cant see that happening for a long time)

Love the bates momentum - wasnt sure when i first got it as it has hardly any knee roll and is as flat as a pancake but I feel so much more secure and balanced in this than I did in my albion k2 jumping saddle.

Autumn was in a devoucou chiberta when I went to try her which was seriously lovely to ride in but unfortunately the ££££ is out of my league!

feefeeb28

Visit site
I had a devoucoux which I absolutely loved to xc but it ruined my horses back. They really aren't meant to be on for any length of time and I used it on a daily basis. It was refitted a couple of times and was made for him but I always felt it was too narrow in the tree. I now have a wide fitting Henri de Rivel- it's ok, it fits my horse which is my priority! Have to say I don't feel anthing like as secure XC in it as I did my beloved devoucoux!