Which Showing Classes for this Mare?

Holzdweaver

Visit site
My friend has asked me to post on her behalf and ask your opinions on which showing classes her mare would be suitable for, and also any advice on turnout for both horse and rider. I jump and only do ridden showing with a cleveland so im not sure on which type fit into which classes! xD

Its going to be at local level, iv advised the following classes:
Green Horse/pony
Ridden Coloured
In hand Coloured
Any breed open class

Theres also these available, and in not sure if she could enter any?
Hunter type horse/pony
Riding club horse/pony
In hand hunter type.

Id have thought for rider ridden it would be a tweed jacket, with beige/cream jods, light yellow shirt, dark gloves and a tie? Is this correct? or would a white shirt be acceptable? She already has a plain brown show jacket, but im not sure whether this would be suitable?

and for the inhand, same on top but dark trousers as the mare has four white legs

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/...2_10152247727872636_1976048324744689248_n.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/...7_10154881610575611_1225234029800884052_n.jpg

any help would be much apprieciated as she wants to start buying her gear in now :)

twobearsarthur

Visit site
Ridden classes
Navy velvet hat (natural colour harness)
Shirt any colour (usually white, pastel or pinstripe) if you want to dye a white shirt yellowy cream just throw it in a washer with a few cheap yellow dusters. Old showing trick.
Tie and tie pin (a colour that coordinates with the tweed, although red always looks good)
Brown or tan gloves never black (signifies your in mourning!)
Tweed jacket (green or brown is best most traditional)
Beige or light Canary breeches.
Black long boots (garter straps and Spurs (dummy are acceptable) to be totally correct)
Brown or whangee show cane.
Hair in bun/hairnet no scrunchies!

For in hand as above just change the breeches for dark trousers (navy cords look smart)
Short boots or comfy shoes to run in.
And if you want to wear a beagler rather than harness hat.

She's not riding horse type.
At local level if her legs were clipped out tail pulled and banged and her mane pulled and plaited you might just sneak in the hunter class although for higher levels she wouldn't be typey enough.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:

conniegirl

Visit site
she is not a hunter, she is too cobby for that.

She is the ideal type for Riding club horse class if she can jump one (normaly small) jump

Tobiano

Visit site
she looks lovely! I'd definitely say riding club horse, maybe family horse if there are those classes (sometimes have to be ridden by child as well), coloured classes. If she is young there may be a suitable age class.

I normally stick to 'handsomest gelding / prettiest mare' type classes! :)

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Thank you all :D

I totally forgot about a show cane! Oh and dummy spurs too, i have some garter straps on the boots i show the clevelands in, and a tie pin so she can borrow those :)
my tie is green and yellow but i think red will look nice on her so il find one for her with a red spot maybe

I must write it all down so she can remember what she needs at the shows, im hopeless and forget half of it haha, i get too nervous and my brain stops working, thank god my partner is amazing and casually says things like 'you do actually need your saddle to compete dont you? because it was still in the tack room so i put it in the car'...

Il let her know about a hat too, im hoping she has a slightly smaller head than me as i have a brand new navy showing hat with flesh harness but it kils my head and so i only ever wear it half an hour at a time when im showing another friends horse. I dont need it for the jumping as i wear my black one.

I think she is going to join me in a few of the fun classes too, as i like to do those on my boy when i can, its so exciting! finally a showing buddy :D x