which studs for xc this weekend

jumpsforfun

Visit site
Aside from the fact that I can't believe I'm having to stress about which studs to use for soft going in AUGUST, I need some advice please.

My horse is paranoid about his footing (not ideal for an eventer!). Normally, in the summer, I use medium sized conical studs which give grip when it's slippy and also penetrate into hard-ish ground. I tend not to jump him too early or late in the season as he loathes slipping when the ground is wet. I am out doing intro weekend and clearly it is going to be softer than I would normallly expect. Do I use a bigger conical stud ('precision response in deep going') or do you think an oval stud ('soft ground - good grip') would provide more stability?

Help - any advice welcome! Thanks.

Fiona

Visit site
Would suggest a dome stud if the ground is definitely soft. It's just about perfect here though (NI) so if I was out this weekend would prob stick with the med conical studs which is what I tend to use all summer.
Fiona

vic07

Visit site
where are you going? Firle? the ground is softer but not soft, I would put some big sharpish ones behind and then as small as possible in front depending on how slippy it is!

jumpsforfun

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I guess I will wait & see how slippy it is. Fingers crossed that the rain will all have soaked in and the going will be perfect!

loopeepee

Visit site
Have you looked in this weeks horse and hound? There is a massive write up about different studs for different grounds or disiplines.
smile.gif