Which vet for 5 stage vetting in Stamford

Caspa

New User
Visit site
Hello, any recommendations please for a vet to do a 5 stage vetting in Stamford? Google search brings up the following four in the area but not sure who is best or if there are others nearby? Thank you very much :)

Tower Equine
Oakham
Michael Gibson
Fellowes Farm

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Crikey, that was a blast from the past... I think it was Michael Gibson at an equine hospital in Oakham who we were referred to with an aged pony with a bone spavin when I was 15 years old. I am now 51 :oops:!!!

Sadly, he recommended that because of the bone spavin, the pony (full up 14.2 Irish X) should only be ridden by someone of 7 1/2 stone or less. I think he *meant* a small child, but to a 15 year old besotted teen that meant I was on a serious diet (I was not overweight - muscled and 9 stone at 5'7", so on the slim side of right already)!

I got down to 8 stone quite rapidly before my mother queried why I was starving myself - she thought it was teenage angst. I explained and the pony was promptly retired and a 15.2 purchased. We kept the pony in retirement until he was the wrong side of 35.

From what I recollect of the man he was lovely, sorry to go off on a tangent! I remember a lot about that day, the horsebox we hired, the sunshine, the prognosis. It was a key moment for a 15 year old pony mad girl.

Last edited:

Caspa

New User
Visit site
Thank you for your replies, the pony’s vet is Oakham so will either go with them or Michael Gibson - they’re both about the same price.

Caspa

New User
Visit site
Crikey, that was a blast from the past... I think it was Michael Gibson at an equine hospital in Oakham who we were referred to with an aged pony with a bone spavin when I was 15 years old. I am now 51 :oops:!!!

Sadly, he recommended that because of the bone spavin, the pony (full up 14.2 Irish X) should only be ridden by someone of 7 1/2 stone or less. I think he *meant* a small child, but to a 15 year old besotted teen that meant I was on a serious diet (I was not overweight - muscled and 9 stone at 5'7", so on the slim side of right already)!

I got down to 8 stone quite rapidly before my mother queried why I was starving myself - she thought it was teenage angst. I explained and the pony was promptly retired and a 15.2 purchased. We kept the pony in retirement until he was the wrong side of 35.

From what I recollect of the man he was lovely, sorry to go off on a tangent! I remember a lot about that day, the horsebox we hired, the sunshine, the prognosis. It was a key moment for a 15 year old pony mad girl.

Lovely that you were able to keep your pony in a happy retirement :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Lovely that you were able to keep your pony in a happy retirement :)

It was. Initially we paid for him to be looked after at grass with a charity, as mum was worried that I would try to lose that weight. Then, after a couple of years, we heard he was not so happy there. We had visited probably once a month or so and he did look well, but I was not happy that people who worked with him thought he was not happy so we had him back, at the livery yard where he had been before.

TBH, after those years off, his bone spavin seemed set, so he did the occasional hack, and a lovely small lady shared him. He even took her over her first few X poles and they did a mini clear round at a show. Eventually it was internal melanomas that got him. He was much loved and very old and wise.