Which vetting?

Rachel_M

Visit site
Im off to see prospective horse in the morning. If she is right then I want her vetted asap. She is aimed as a potential allround competition horse. Question is do I really need the full 5-stage?

Have you had a horse vetted with a full 5-stage, did you feel it justified itself or do you think it really just for horses who are being insured for larger amounts???

Rachel_M

Visit site
A fair argument there Dougie, hehe.
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
See how it goes. You don't have to have the full 5-stage if you decide that everything else seems fine and so you can stop at any point. Just tell the vet and he can let you know what he advises once you are there with the horse.

Iestyn

Visit site
I've never had a horse vetted as I paid next to nothing (in the grand scheme of things) for either of the 2 I have actually bought. I would now though as what I'd be looking at wouldn't only have two zero's at the end of the price! I would just go for a 5 stage - as Dougie says, if you're having a vetting done you may as well get the 5 stage.

Louby

Visit site
Think it depends on the insurance company. NFU was £5k a couple of years ago.
After buying a horse with ringbone and the previous one had Navicuar, Im not a lucky person! I decided I'd get my new boy vetted .......... he failed on a flexion test but heart ruled head and I went back and bought him! He wasnt expensive though. Touch wood hes been fine and that was over 3 years ago. Mind you hes had a GA for a tooth removal and a fractured leg but the failed LF flexion hasnt reared its ugly head yet! Touching loads of wood now.
If the horse is expensive then I'd have a 5 stage vetting.
Good luck

Hollyhorse

Visit site
It depends if you plan on keeping the horse or if you may sell it again. It's worth having a 5-stage if you plan or may sell the horse because if a potential buyer then decides to have a 5-stage vetting it may bring up things that you weren't aware of because you only had a 2stage (for example) - I always have a 5-stage just in case, because if I decide to sell the horse, for whatever reason, if it passed a 5-stage for me then it's more likely to pass a 5-stage for someone else!

Mel85

Visit site
You have to accept that most horses will fail a 5 stage vetting on something as the vets end up having to cover their backs and the majority of horses that would fail a 5 stage vetting would happily do the job you need them to do. I would have a 2 stage vetting personally, that is all you need for insurance purposes up to £5000.

Rachel_M

Visit site
Went to see her today.

Owner was very genuine and told me of an old splint on her front leg. She trotted level and showed no signs of it effecting her whilst working.

Her feet was in brilliant condition, really well taken care off.

She was a little out of shape and was a little sweaty after the work but nothing unexpected. I'm thinking of just getting basics vetted on her.

spaniel

Visit site
If you want a competition horse then I really think its worthwhile paying the bit extra and having the 5 stage. The last thing you want is to fall in love, have a 3 stage, and then find in 6 months that the horse isnt up to what you really wanted it for.

Better to be sure now.

Rachel_M

Visit site
Thanks guy for your help however I won't need to call a vet.

6 hour round trip to see her yesterday morning and she has sold her when I had first refusal. To say I am pissed wouldn't quite cover it.

Thank you all anyways, I appreciate it, sorry for wasting all your time.
frown.gif

Rachel_M

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
To say I am pissed wouldn't quite cover it.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me re-phrase that-

6 Hours round journey- I am ****king seething!
mad.gif

Tia

Visit site
Oh no!! What a blooming shame.
frown.gif

Mind you, I am ever the optimist!! Just know that this horse wasn't mean't for you.......the one who is, will be just around the corner.

Rachel_M

Visit site
I think she had sold the horse before I had even got home.
frown.gif
The owner seemed really decent as well. Bad judge of character.
frown.gif