Which Wintec Dressadge Saddle.. Opinions needed!

TooManyCobs

Visit site
Hi

Looking for entry level dressage saddle. Had a wintec GP before and i know the fit suits my boy. There are two styles that i'm looking at:

This one (which i prefer the look of):

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j65z89&s=8

Or this one which being a later model should be a better saddle (maybe?)

http://tinypic.com/r/1y1ibm/8[/

Specifically my questions are -
  • does anyone have any experience with either type?
  • I have sensitive seat bones - which one is going to be kindest to them?
  • Does everyone prefer cair or flocking?
  • I err towards classical dressage - and like a narrow twist - will this influence my choice between these two styles?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Dizzleton

Visit site
I had the first saddle a few years ago whilst my Wow saddle was being made. I have a big moving WB and it was horrendous to ride in. It wasn't deep enough and I found it tipped me forward quite badly.

I haven't personally rode in the later model.

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
It's worth bearing in mind that the 'normal' Wintecs (like your first image) are made on a different tree to the Isabell Worths (second image), so one may fit but the other won't.

This http://saddlefitter.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/changeable-gullets-details.html is worth a read.
I had one a few months ago (500 Dressage model) and it was wonderfully comfortable, but it made me sit almost at the back of the seat and tipped me backwards.

You might be better off with having a fitter that stocks Wintec and Thorogood Cobs come out so you can try both. If you are going to get a Wintec though, I'd avoid Cair. The air bags are often over-inflated, leaving them rock hard!

Tegan

Visit site
Hi

I have the one in your first picture and also the gp version. I get on really well with them both and have competed up to elementary including affiliated in the dressage version with no problems. I have the flocked versions. I have had the girth straps changed to leather as find the plastic ones difficult to do up and they split (although they do have webbing inside so just unsightly rather than unsafe).

Have had the GP for 12 years and the dressage one about 5 (but it was second hand from eBay).

My saddler did say to me that the new ones fit differently so if it is an old GP that fitted your horse you may find the new one isn't suitable.

Hope this is useful.

Tegan

TooManyCobs

Visit site
Thanks for replies. Sbloom - i have omitted to state the obvious - at this point i am choosing between styles of a brand that i have had previous sucess with - i didnt think it needed saying that i will, when i get the chosen style, see if it fits my horse and how he goes in it. I sadly dont have enough money to buy two and see which one he likes best, and live very remotely and sadly can't get a saddle fitter here - or that would have been my first port of call.

To all those who have provided helpful replies - thank you. I think i will try the first style, as it is my personal preference, and i'd prefer the extra flap length. I can always put it back up for sale if its not the right saddle for my boy or myself.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

JoClark

Visit site
Please also take a look at the Ideal Jessica dressage saddles, I have one and so do a lot of friends on different shape horses, seems to fit a lot of shapes and sizes. There are loads about so its not expensive and lovely to ride in x

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I have had both versions that you show. I personally hated the first one, it was horrible, never managed to feel comfy on it, it was also a CAIR version. I also gave it away for free I hated it so much. I eventually bought the Isabel Werth version and love it. But saddles are like marmite, what one person may like another may hate. One thing I wouldn't do is have CAIR in another saddle, numerous saddle fitters and physios have warned against it. I never felt that it was of any benefit when I did have it so wouldn't bother again.