Which wormer?

wiglet

Visit site
The yard owner (due to ongoing personal issues) forgot to organise worming so we have essentially missed worming for tapeworm.
Is it too late to do this now? I'm assuming it's not and which would be best, Pramox (this is what I used when DIY) or Eqvalan Duo (what the YO intended to use).
We are going to sort it out ourselves, just wanting a bit of advice.
Thanks

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Have they been done for encysted red worm? If not I would use pramox as does tapeworm and encysted redworm which won't show on an egg count xx

**see other comment below.

Last edited:

wiglet

Visit site
The tapeworm test is a saliva test isn't it?
Is it accurate? I ask this because when I was DIY, these tests were just hitting the market and there were lots of doubts about their accuracy. I appreciate things will have moved on and improved since then but does anyone know if these can be relied on?

Gallop_Away

Visit site
OP I know some horse's can have a bad reaction to pramox. I myself have used it on my 3 horses without any issues *touch wood*
If they have in effect missed a worming, then a FEC would be advisable. My vet explained that where horse's may have a particularly high worm burden, pramox can shock the system causing colic and other unpleasant side effects. It is advisable to use something different or milder initially in these cases.
I would have an FEC and Saliva test done by your vet or Westgate and go from there xx

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I've just done Equisal tests on my lot,
Three low
Three borderline
Two high
Quite interesting seeing the range of results in a small herd that have been out together all winter

My vet told me that 80% of horses have 20% of the worm burden whereas the remaining 20% suffer from having 80% which is why worm counts are so important and probably why your herd are all so different.

Polos Mum

Visit site
My vet told me that 80% of horses have 20% of the worm burden whereas the remaining 20% suffer from having 80% which is why worm counts are so important and probably why your herd are all so different.

I have found this to be true for normal worm counts - one stubbonly over 1000 every spring despite proper treatment for encysted with the others (same small herd in same mgmt.) at no eggs seen.
Interesting that its' also the case for Tape

wiglet

Visit site
Thanks for the replies!
I'm going to order a tapeworm test then worm as necessary with Equimax.
They were wormed for encysted red worm, it's just worming for tapeworm that's been overlooked.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Equimax contains the same drug as Pramox -praziquantel - which MAY have a paralysing effect on the gut of some horses.

I'd use Strongid P or Pyratape P which are both pyrantel embonate- a safer drug in my opinion.
You do have to double the dose for tapeworm though - so if your horse normally has 1 syringe, you'd need 2.

SEL

Visit site
Equimax contains the same drug as Pramox -praziquantel - which MAY have a paralysing effect on the gut of some horses.

I'd use Strongid P or Pyratape P which are both pyrantel embonate- a safer drug in my opinion.
You do have to double the dose for tapeworm though - so if your horse normally has 1 syringe, you'd need 2.
I used that on my one who always comes back with positive tapeworm and he was out of sorts for days. He's had Pramox before so I thought he'd be ok but think we'll be strongid P next time ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I used that on my one who always comes back with positive tapeworm and he was out of sorts for days. He's had Pramox before so I thought he'd be ok but think we'll be strongid P next time ?

It’s a worry isn’t it. I used Pramox for years with no problem on all sorts of horses then out of the blue one colicked, never used it since.