Which would be warmer?

jayvee

Visit site
I was thinking today, when my old gal gets even older and retired..
Would she be better off and warmer wearing a rug or not?
Obviously wouldn't be clipped and left to go wooly, and let her mane grow etc..
But I have heard people say that when rolling or lying down the rug hinders them from getting up, which I can understand.
But would the older horse be warm enough without a rug in the winter elements?
I would feel cruel not giving her one to wear, but just as cruel if she couldn't get up with one on?
Thoughts on this???

natz

Visit site
my girlie is 23, and rugged up to her eyeballs!! She is still in regualr work, and clipped out though, so rugless is not an option!!! Even if she was retired and left in the field to grow a thick coat - I still wouldnt be happy, as think of all the extra energy she would be using just trying to keep warm!
We have 3 retired eventers at work, plus and old shire who has just started having trouble with his hind legs - they are all well in to their 20's, and rugged!! I dont think it makes any difference to them when getting up and down/rolling as they have had rugs on all their life, and it makes no difference to the old boy with stiff hindlegs as we have tried it!!!
My girlie will still deff be rugged when retired!!

jayvee

Visit site
Oh she's a welsh D x TB. And has the mane and tail of a welsh (god damn thick)!!
tongue.gif

jayvee

Visit site
Thats warming to know. as even when she will be wooly (a few more years to go yet hopefully) I would like to think she will have a rug on on top of her own wooly coat.
So is it a myth about rugs hindering them?

Chex

Visit site
I think if its a modern rug, and its not soaking (and therefore really heavy) it shouldn't be a problem. I can see how having 2 heavy rugs on could stop them getting up if they're a bit weak, but not one lightweight one. Chex is getting on now, but he'll always be rugged, don't think he's cope without one!

MagicMelon

Visit site
One of mine is 20 and he's out 24/7 all wooly. I only rug him if its really horrid weather like very very cold and snowy etc. Otherwise he's fine. I think only rug if you need to, but IMO its better they dont get cold since by that age they'll obviously be getting stiff and cold doesnt help that.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
as she is TB X wel D i would be inclined to rug her up anyway as TB need rugging as far as i am concerned i have TB and he rugged nearly all year round. He is very marded though but even if he wasnt he would need a rug on even if he was v wolly. I would advise that you rug up only when i starts to get cold tho.

Kezza

Visit site
good god, my 22 year old throws himself to the ground to roll in or out of a rug and rolls right over many, many times and then gets up with ease, he is so nimble, whereas my 20 year old has more trouble as he's such a lump! He is fully clipped, living out (with access to a stable) and in work and rugged up to the eye balls in horseware rugs. If you've always used a rug then continue to do so in my opinion.

valley

Visit site
modern rugs are light but warm I have just retired my horse and he would love to be rugless but seeing how muddy he gets with a rug on I cant bring myself to leave one off.