Which would you move/keep at home?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm thinking due to my awful grazing (good at home but too small for all the time and just a horrible bad access/very very wet place to alternate with) to take one horse to a livery type place. This will hopefully mean our decent grazing at home can cope easily.
The horse that stays will still have company as we have two tinies here.
First horse is retired. So i had thought a retirement place somewhere fairly locally, there is no where close enough for me to do him daily. He windsucks which makes finding a place difficult. Home is good for him as its flat and not muddy. The ponies dont get ridden and he gets on with them. They are all able to share hay chucked out in winter etc.
This option wastes our amazing riding here and the whole having horses at home thing, it's nice to pop out and tack up quickly.
However i'd be more able to keep a closer eye on him and such like.

Second horse, ridden so its easy having him home and making the most of the hacking here. I wonder if he go's to a yard if he will get ridden more (always more motivated having people to ride with) He'd be easier to find a DIY space for being the more laid back and less likely to damage fences etc.
This option would definitely involve going to another place twice daily so I need it to be close or along my route to work etc. He has a dust allergy so i really need surrounding stables to be clean! (easy when they are all yours not so on a yard) He also needs as much turnout as possible which reading the threads on here is going to be an issue at a yard.
It would mean that daughter cant just get up early on a saturday and ride or ride late into the evenings in the summer independently and would need to rely on me for lifts.
Am looking into both but which would you go for?

DD

Visit site
keep the retired horse at home. move the second horse and enjoy the new place with him as something different even though you'll loose the good hacking near home and you'll need to give lifts at least these times can be mother and daughter catch up times.. maybe he can go back home when the grass picks up later in the year.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Second horse bullies the ponies and cant eat hay, they cant eat haylage so will be separate for some of the time.

It looks fairly obvious which to move having written it down ;)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
keep the retired horse at home. move the second horse and enjoy the new place with him as something different even though you'll loose the good hacking near home. maybe he can go back home when the grass picks up later in the year.

The main problem is winter and last winter i was unable to find anywhere for either. No-one wants horses short term so i figured if i get one in someplace now it would be best. If i pull them out in the summer i will be stuck for winter again so needs to be permanent really

DD

Visit site
can you afford to keep paying for the livery place but not use it? I used to do this when I was in a similar situation to you, kept the horses at a livery yard but it had very little turnout/grazing so May to September I rented a field and put the horse there for the summer, sometimes hes go back to the yard for weekends as the field was about 3 miles away and I could ride there. cost more money but ensured that I had the stable for the winter.

webble

Visit site
can you afford to keep paying for the livery place but not use it? I used to do this when I was in a similar situation to you, kept the horses at a livery yard but it had very little turnout/grazing so May to September I rented a field and put the horse there for the summer, sometimes hes go back to the yard for weekends as the field was about 3 miles away and I could ride there. cost more money but ensured that I had the stable for the winter.

This is a good idea if your horse settles easily when moving

poiuytrewq

Visit site
When I say livery I'm talking cheap DIY! I suppose so, if i can afford to pay it with him there i can pay it with him not there! Might be an idea. Perhaps even just for school holidays. The only possible problem I'd anticipate there is the retired one being a nightmare every time the other one leaves all over again. Might be fine though once he's got used to the idea the ponies are his friends.
Time to start nosing round yards ;)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm thinking due to my awful grazing (good at home but too small for all the time and just a horrible bad access/very very wet place to alternate with) to take one horse to a livery type place. This will hopefully mean our decent grazing at home can cope easily.
The horse that stays will still have company as we have two tinies here.
First horse is retired. So i had thought a retirement place somewhere fairly locally, there is no where close enough for me to do him daily. He windsucks which makes finding a place difficult. Home is good for him as its flat and not muddy. The ponies dont get ridden and he gets on with them. They are all able to share hay chucked out in winter etc.
This option wastes our amazing riding here and the whole having horses at home thing, it's nice to pop out and tack up quickly.
However i'd be more able to keep a closer eye on him and such like.

Second horse, ridden so its easy having him home and making the most of the hacking here. I wonder if he go's to a yard if he will get ridden more (always more motivated having people to ride with) He'd be easier to find a DIY space for being the more laid back and less likely to damage fences etc.
This option would definitely involve going to another place twice daily so I need it to be close or along my route to work etc. He has a dust allergy so i really need surrounding stables to be clean! (easy when they are all yours not so on a yard) He also needs as much turnout as possible which reading the threads on here is going to be an issue at a yard.
It would mean that daughter cant just get up early on a saturday and ride or ride late into the evenings in the summer independently and would need to rely on me for lifts.
Am looking into both but which would you go for?

could you not do temp stables at home so there is less pressure on the grazing?? or see if there is another field localy you can rent to extend your grazing usage??

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We have stables at home and a little woodchip turnout.
The thing is that alternating between fields isn't working as we can't ride straight from the second field. Apart from the fact it involves tacking up on the road and other awkwardness. So we lead him and retired to the house (retired cannot be left alone as he forgets his arthritis and turns into a loon thinking nothing of jumping fences) He is also struggling with the walk back and fore though.
I hate the second field so much!
The grass at home of course will grow but it's just proving not a big enough field to actually use long term.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
iIWY, I would do anything I could/had to in order to be able to keep every horse at home. Small ponies are not really good lon-term companions for big horses, they need some-one their own size. We have a similar problem because 2 of our mares hate each other and fight if they are in the same field - neither will back down, so we have had to use 2 fields all winter and the neighbour whose land we used to rent has moved away. We have been offered grazing which we don't think is really secure enough, so are juggling our own facilities. Can you put the ponies on the wet field? If the horses are in that field can you tack up in the field, rather than on the roadside/ could you ride and lead the retired horse back to the yard while the other one hacks? Is there any other suitable land nearby to rent?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
What do you need the little ones for, are they any use or just ornaments as they just seem a bit pointless if they have to have special needs; just more hassle which you don't need?
Personally I'd be selling them and keeping the others at home. Shut the 'bad' field up for the winter; retired one will soon get used to being left in stable when you ride other especially if you make a point of giving him his feed/hay just before you go out; if worse comes to worse, shut the top door on him.