Which yard boots again....but slightly different this time.

frostyfingers

Visit site
I know this comes up regularly but I have a more specific question. My Achilles’ tendon problem has flared up again but much more so than in the past and according to the physio is on the point of rupture. The physio has said that wellies of any sort are a complete no-no so what I’d like advice on is what sort of robust, waterproof and reasonably priced footwear can anyone who has been in a similar situation recommend?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
What in particular is problematic with wellies?
Do you need more ankle support, better foot support or something else? Do you need zip instead of pull on?
Is there any particular activity (guessing not riding)?
Are short boots an option or are you only looking at long boots?

frostyfingers

Visit site
Physio said better fitting, possibly zipped, I think the problem with wellies is that they are loose and give no heel or arch support. I’ve been trying to find some that don’t cost too much but anything more fitted is pricey which I may just have to suck up!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would use the heel lifts they really do help with an Achilles problem, I find my ariat country boots the most supportive after a broke my ankle I also had a lot of soft tissue damage including a messed up Achilles tendon, I wore them all the time even out shopping as they were the most comfy thing to wear.

Theocat

Visit site
Yard boots don't offer much support either. What about some sort of supportive lightweight walking boot?

SEL

Visit site
I used to have a pair of Ariat endurance short boots which would work. Great ankle support - but not cheap even when I got them in a sale

minesadouble

Visit site
I have Achilles tendinopathy and have custom Orthotics, I got them for running but they are meant for everyday use and can be slipped into any shoe/boot.

AFB

Visit site
Yard boots don't offer much support either. What about some sort of supportive lightweight walking boot?

I'd probably go down this route too - more thought goes in to the design and build of walking boots than country boots so you're more likely to find something suitable. I have a pair of North Face boots that are going strong after 2 1/2 years of hard wear (dog walking, yard jobs, general out and about stuff) - granted I don't have any issues I bought them for specifically but I've never had a better pair of boots.

oldie48

Visit site
I ruptured my achilles tendon 35 years ago, it was sewn back together but is very distorted with lots of scar tissue. Unfortunately, a few years ago the scar tissue partly ruptured so I only have about 2/3rds left. I obviously have to be very careful. I find short walking boots with a cut away back that avoids the achilles are the most comfortable for walking especially if the ground is uneven. I have Hunter wellies as they are well shaped for very wet work, I know they are expensive and they don't last as long as they used to but they are the most comfortable ones I have found, especially as I have a lot of calf muscle wastage as I was in plaster for five months. Anything that presses on the actual achilles is a complete no no but it's important to have enough support so I don't go over on the ankle. I got some good quality waterproof trainer type boots from Sports Direct at a very decent price and they are light enough for hot weather. It is an absolute PITA and I'd do anything to get a permanent cure but it's just something I have to learn to work around. I hope this is helpful.

ihatework

Visit site
Your best bet would probably to be made to measure insoles.

But the aigle parlours iso wellies are surprisingly well fitting and supportive - I have niggly achillies but can do a days beating/picking up in the aigles with no ill effect.
Walking around xc courses in my short boots however ....

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have the same issue and I also find that wellies cause me pain. My pain is right at the back of the heel and just under the heel.

I've tried compression socks and heel supports but neither worked long term. The only shoes that are truly comfortable are running shoes (yes I run even though it hurts!) or walking shoes (not boots as they can rub further up along the tendon).

Did anyone ever find that eccentric heel drop exercises worked? I found they caused me absolute agony and my other achillies became sore. I stuck with it for 3 months but if anything they made it worse.

frostyfingers

Visit site
That's all really useful. I've some walking boots but they cut into the heel unfortunately but have just ordered some insoles as recommended by the physio so will try those in my wellies to see if that makes a difference, it's a blooming nuisance that's for sure. There's no way I'd pass any vetting!

oldie48

Visit site
That's all really useful. I've some walking boots but they cut into the heel unfortunately but have just ordered some insoles as recommended by the physio so will try those in my wellies to see if that makes a difference, it's a blooming nuisance that's for sure. There's no way I'd pass any vetting!

I trotted my horse up for the physio and she pronounced him sound as a pound but I was very lame (I didn't need her to tell me though)