Whilst I know no one can help..... Rant

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My god damn horse is driving me potty!
We have a peaceful little yard and paddock. Private 3 geldings. All happy.
Until last summer when the owner of an adjoining field rented it to someone with mares.
My peace was broken! My horse turned into a demon. Wrecking fences, refusing to eat was a bit difficult to catch and lead. Spinning circles shrieking in his stable- just a pig, he ended up cutting his leg quite badly and was lame for a month or so.
The mares left and calm was restored -that's after I spent a fortune on repairs and new fencing!! :)
They are back..., my horse is again a nightmare! Everyday he's broken free. I've gone up to 3 strands of rope fence, bought a new heavy duty battery, replaced the energiser, taken off his neck cover Incase that was the problem. Still I'm fixing fences daily.
He's quite a lump and when he's wound up gets a bit Bolshy. He's usually the most perfect gentleman and gets compliments from dentists farriers etc. Now his teeth are due and shoes and I'm dreading both!!
Tempted to ask if I can just chuck the idiot out with the mares and be done with it!
Is it rude to ask when they are leaving? (Good god, I hope they are leaving!)

Auslander

Visit site
Alf has Agnus Castus from March until October every year - he is 18 this year, and was gelded before he was 4, but in his head, he's a STALLION! Not only is he silly about mares, but he has been known to spot a local stallion out hacking, and turn into the big "I am" - which has resulted in a few interesting airs above the ground from both of them! He is a very silly old man, and it drives me demented! Agnus Castus seems to take the edge off his urge to be a big posey poncer!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm not the only one then ;)
He's 17 this year and I'm pretty sure was around mares at the old yard (I was his groom) but never had a problem as far as I remember (but maybe I didn't notice as fencing wasn't my problem!)
The fence is electric my side, feeble patchy hedging/ brambles then post and stock wire with barbed wire top strand theirs. So already double and without replacing all my wooden posts I can't go higher. He's not jumping if anyway.
There should actually be a whole field between them but that's usually where I find him!
Today I watched him just literally shove his way through ours. It was stretched across his chest which ok he probably can't feel due to his rug but the top strand was on his neck and the bottom just above his knees- tightly and he wasn't flinching!? Shetland tried to copy and went through the roof so it's working!
Auslander, they really sound quite similar! :)
Really I think it's more attachment than riggy behaviour.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Could you also weave sometape through the chest straps of the rug so he gets a shock from the fence? Hope you find a solution, I think at times houdini's are a nightmare!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
It must be time that someone comes up with a rug that has electric tape conductors running through it! I'd buy one!!!!!!

ETA,just seen link-ok there is an idea out there!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That was my plan, however seeing him today with areas not covered by rug leaning on it I'm not sure that will work! I'm pulling my hair out!

Some horses learn that if they lean on the electric they don't get a further shock. I was going to suggest putting him further away from them but then I saw that there should be a field between them!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Some geldings seem to go through a "dirty old man" phase in their old age, it seems. My old gelding went like that, he had one mare he herded around and kept away from the others. That's all he did.

Get him a girlfriend on the right side of the fence?!!

trottingon

Visit site
Can you speak to your neighbours and describe the situation? There may be nothing they are willing/able to do, but if they split their mares and geldings it may be easy enough for them to use the field adjacent to yours for their geldings instead of their mares? It's worth finding out.

Equi

Visit site
There is rugs that have special patches for tape - but they're not very common and if they don't work it's a lot of money for a rug lol

xgemmax

Visit site
My boy was like this with a certain few mares next to him when he moved yards, trying to get through the fencing, etc. I put him on rig calm which helped a bit but was still so worked up and ended up having to move him again and he's now fine! Just didn't settle next to those particular mares!