Whilst on the subject of stocks (tied vs untied)

Sal_E

Visit site
Do you think a silk one would be better for getting a stock pin through (I have MURDERS getting my stock pin through...)?

What about the Morgan Equine mock silk ones - are they thinner than cotton & therefore easier on the pins?

Do the untied ones come with instructions - I really do not know how to do it...

One last question - the mock silk say 'hand wash' - I will never hand wash stuff (too lazy) - what are the chances of it surviving a regular 30 degree wash?

Any answers greatfully received!

tigers_eye

Visit site
If it's real silk don't put in washing machine! Don't know about fake ones. I think the really stiff starchy thick ones must do the best job at protecting your neck, but they will murder all but the toughest stockpins. Invest in a good pin I say.... or good safety pin like I use
blush.gif

miller

Visit site
My Morgan Equine one is still quite thick (silk but does have embroidery on) I also find them very short or is that just me?

Judie

Visit site
I bought mine from Morgan Equine and it's sooo long - mind you I have no idea how to tie the damn thing properly perhaps that's why I have a metre spare!

miller

Visit site
Or mine's just the off cut of yours
grin.gif
I prefer them long so they can tuck into my shirt/pin down rather than flap out of my jacket

k9h

Visit site
Wash them with plenty of lenor fabric conditioner that is the trick & a sharp stock pin! I will never wear a ready tied one purely as they offer no support but that is my personal preferance.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
My mother has a mock silk one I find it fine for the main pin but the little ones to tie it down are a pain to get in. I hate tied stocks there is no point in them. I am just looking into a silk one but am backtreading now I have just found out you cannot wash it - how would you get it clean?

KatB

Visit site
I was always told to put the pin in your hair whilst tieing your stock, then pull it out and put it straight through stock. Apparently static on the pin helps it get through the fabric??

May be an old wifes tail, but my old hunt master swore by it, and ive done it ever since, and never really have a prob. And my stock is only a cheapo thick cotton one!!
grin.gif

Sal_E

Visit site
Hmmm, not sure now!

Lec - what are the little ones you're referring to; something I'm unaware of...

KatB - bit nervous about your 'stick it in your hair' tip, it can take several days to locate anything that gets put into my hair...

Huntress - how does the fabric conditioner help? does that make it more resilient somehow?

And lastly, where do I find instructions on HOW to tie the darn things...

kick_On

Visit site
The way i do stock:
Right over left - knot,
Left over right - knot,
Right boob, Left boob and pin
and look in mirror to get nice knot (car window etc.. anything that has a reflection
grin.gif
grin.gif
)

SillyMare

Visit site
Practice, practice and more practice!

And even after loads of practice, when I am under pressure / running late / someone is watching me it still seems to end up just looking like a knot!

Would hate to try to tell someone how I do mine - almost a subconscious thing I think!

Sal_E

Visit site
Thanks everyone! I am so fed up with the velcro on pre-tieds which gets constrantly caught in my hair & then ripped out, ripping hair, tearing hairnet & then coming un-done & falling off, that I HAVE to get an untied one before I go insane. Thanks for the link Miffy - I've printed them off & will be practicing soon!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I was referring to safety pins my mind had gone blank!
I always have a main stock pin and then tie down with 2 safety pins as I hate flapping stocks.

k9h

Visit site
The fabric conditioner softens the stock. You don't want it startched or you will never get it through! The kittle ones you can use
a. instead of tying a not just pin it.
b, for pinning down your loose wings (the left overs).
C. I also put 1 pin in the back off the stock to my shirt in the nape of my neck to sop it from rising up.
Just ordanary saftey pins I use for this.
Think I have some destuctions somewhere show how to tie them If I find it will send it to you. Usually they come with instructions.

livetoride

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was always told to put the pin in your hair whilst tieing your stock, then pull it out and put it straight through stock. Apparently static on the pin helps it get through the fabric??

May be an old wifes tail, but my old hunt master swore by it, and ive done it ever since, and never really have a prob. And my stock is only a cheapo thick cotton one!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great theory. I haven't heard it before, I must try it!