White hairs and numnah trouble!

pottamus

Visit site
I have noticed since my horses winter coat came through that he has a small patch with some white hairs on it behind his shoulder. It is more or less where the stirrups hook on. There is no rub marks and the hair is not disturbed in any way. I am concerned that something has been pressing him to make this happen and wondered whether it could be from the stiched area where the numnah's straps are fixed to the numnah?
So I was wondering if any of you guys can suggest any causes and recommend a good numnah, particularly for long distance riding?
Also, are those thick saddle pads with no straps on any good?
Thanks everyone!
grin.gif

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
certainly sounds like the saddle is causing pressure behind the shoulders which suggests that it is too narrow for your horse. By using any type of numnah or pad it will cause more problems unless the saddle has enough room for it, I would get out a saddler and check the fit asap.
Best regards
Dawn

merlinsquest

Visit site
the first winter coat my black horse grew after i bought him had a patch of roany hair on the same place your describing!!!

the second winter there was one on both sides!!

i was beginning to panic that he was turning piebald!!

the saddle had already been checked and was fine, but a saddler advised me to always wash his saddle area after exercise as it could be from sweating!! i have done this ever since and guess what????

NO roany bits so far this year.... horay!!

i did ask another saddler if he thought this was the likely cause though and he said no, still its worked for me and also the sweat lumps he always used to get under saddle have dissapeared too.