White snot coming out of one nostril?

chotty

Visit site
Anyone else's horse had this? Left my horse in her stable for half an hour whilst I ran to the tack shop for fly spray. Came back and she looked up at me from her haynet (with last years cut of haylege in) with a big white snot in one nostril! She didn't seem to have a temperature and she was eating and drinking okay. Checked her jaw/throat for any swelling and there was nothing. Turned her back out after an hour or so of watching her, and she seemed normal when walking back up the hill. But then she snorted on me and again there was a little bit of white snot!?

Going back up to check her tonight. Should I give the vet a call?
X

Dumbo

Visit site
My horse had snot in his right nostril. I watched it for 5 days, it started white and got worse after exercise. Day 5 I free ran him and it was acid yellow flowing like a tap so vet came out.
They said as it's only one nostril it will either be a tooth infection or sinus.
Had to go to the clinic for Xray of tooth roots/head and scoping.
Scoping showed inflammation of his sinus so they did a trach wash which showed no infection.
Vet said turnout as much as possible and feed from the floor.
He still gets a bit of a snotty nostril when he's in for a few hours.

I'd keep an eye on your horse for a few days and turn out as much as possible but get the vet if it's not any better by next week.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
White snot is usually a reaction to something having got up the nostril, e.g. a bit of hay/dust etc. Monitor it and if it continues for a few days, or changes colour, ring the vet for advice.

lelly

Visit site
Yes I had this happen earlier this year. As said above started white turned yellow and smelly. Vet said sinus infection or tooth problem. Dentist came and removed very loose tooth and after antibiotics it has cleared up completely. If its only on and off I wouldn't worry too much but keep a close eye on it.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Just keep an eye on it for now. As others have said watch out for coloured snot. My horse once had green snot and it was influenza.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had Charlie horse do this. We had the vet, Charles was scoped, swabbed and Xrayed. We could find no reason, neither could his dentist,so after another swab we just monitored. It was about 6 months before it went. Never did know what it was.

chotty

Visit site
Thank you guys! Will monitor and feed from floor to see if it helps. She last had her teeth done in November so almost due them, so could well be that!
Will have a look in her mouth in the morning x

Ibblebibble

Visit site
daughters pony gets it if on straw bedding or if hay not soaked, i checked with vet and told if it was clear or white not to worry, with her it is purely down to dust rather than infection. if it persists I would phone vet for a check.

Fides

Visit site
White snot is ok :) mine have always gone snotty when due a growth spurt too which is weird...

chotty

Visit site
Thank you everyone! You're all making me worry less. Google came up with some very scary results! Will keep and eye on her and if it persists will get the vet out to check its not some type of flu/infection/abscess x