Whittaker saddles

Kylara

Visit site
Thoughts?

Specifically the quality, how well they fit horse and rider, comfort etc, how well they last! General stuff really.

I know someone with a trade account so working out if worth plumping for a new one but don't know anyone with one!

Would love a butet though ;) but might struggle to meet even second hand prices!

Fiona

Visit site
I've a 2006 junior jumper saddle and I love it. Had it from new and it's worn v well. Latex panels so never been reflocked etc.

It's a 16 inch saddle on a TB mare.

Fiona

zoelouisem

Visit site
The older ones are great but the newer ones awful don't fit well at all sit very odd and slip back. Know several people had problems with them. There's a reason I managed to sell my daughters older one for £600 and people struggle to sell the newer ones full stop!!

Leo Walker

Visit site
When they started doing tack the saddles were good quality and well designed. For some reason their line didnt take off well in shops so they reduced the quality and design and now sell to pretty much anyone. You used to have to have a shop and be a legitimate trader, but thats not the case anymore. Facebook etc is flooded with people selling their stuff at knock off prices. I'd proceed with caution!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Had some in for repairs, was appalled at the cheap way they were made. One had a broken saddle nail that goes through the top of the skirt, through the tree and is turned back on itself under the tree.
It took literally 2 mins (a few stitches instead of being laced in correctly like a conventional saddle) to drop the panel out.
The saddle nail which on conventional saddles is made of 1/8 th inch mild steel was merely an thin aluminium nail (20p at local diy shop) which on further investigation had a Whittaker brand badge glued to the top of it.
This is TOTALLY wrong and a cheap unsafe way to make saddles by cutting corners. NO wonder it had broken, wasn't impressed with it in any shape or form. There was no more than around £150 of materials in that saddle yet the customer had paid £1600 for it, you make you own minds up on that one, remember, no matter how good the saddle looks on the outside you can't see what's going on inside unless you look, which most people are not going to be able to do.
Oz

Kylara

Visit site
I wasn't holding out much hope! No one I know has one so not a great start. Thanks for the feedback, think I'll avoid even with the trade discount. Shame really when the quality lets it all down. Can't be having with dodgy fit though, don't think the 4 year old would be impressed! Saw some second hand albion jump saddles but they are just sooo heavy.

Anyone know if you can get a second hand butet jump for under £1800?! :O that'll teach me riding in seriously nice saddles that friends have and then finding out the price if I want one for myself!

Llanali

Visit site
Try a bliss. I fully recommend, there are sometimes a few on the Bsja page on FB, or ring nikki Newcombe at bliss about second hand or ex demo stock. Superb saddles, way up there with butet For quality but imo fit better as more varied, butet etc tend to only fit a few TB type shapes.