Who’s horses hardly roll??

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
As said in title.

Faran hardly rolls. Only if he is wet will he roll, my other horses and youngsters have been complete hippo mud monsters. Turned them out in the snow the other day and the big guy was rolling and loving it. Faran just watched him until he got up then kept on killing and wanting to play.

I know I shouldn’t be complaining as he’s very clean due to this ;) however I keep getting mugged for scratching sessions and he’s very insistent and enthusiastic about it hahaha ;)

EBD8D7DB-06C6-41D8-A777-8D101D1016E4.jpegDDE5AA8A-A5FC-4110-A2ED-509EFA792BF7.jpeg41A03160-B5DF-4A25-BA00-9D18171F9C8B.jpeg8F11ACE1-6609-4274-9D40-738A9ACFE7D3.jpeg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
One of my mares hardly rolls, she just gets down wiggles a bit one side (doesn't like putting her head neck on the ground either!) gets up turns around gets back down and does the other side and that is it! Strange horse, one time she did actually roll all the way over and gave herself a heart attack!

P.s your horse is gorgeous!

dorsetladette

Visit site
my old boy only rolled in a fresh/clean bed - I could pull him out of the field in summer, flick him off with a brush and take him to a show. and I did! his rugs never really got dirty and his socks were white - 'you never know when a lady friend might be watching' LOL!

My current 2 I sometimes have to pick the mud off their faces so they can see - they properly wallow when they get the opportunity.

Teaboy

Visit site
I have a mare who doesn’t roll, only in a clean bed will she roll. Owned her for nearly 4 years and I’ve known her roll probably a total of 10 times. I bred from that mare and she had a lovely filly, filly is now rising 2 and she has never (As far as I can tell) rolled in the field, only ever in her clean bed! I feel very lucky to have them both!
The bizarre thing is the mare absolutely loves trashing through muddy puddles etc out hacking.

MrsNorris

Visit site
One of mine never rolls, he’s always laying down in stable or field, but never rolls. I put it down to the fact that he spent the first 7 years of his life kept on a tether, and learned that he could get tangled up so best not to.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Our fields are sodden at the moment and I am not using them, but I did allow the pocket rocket cob mare out around the school this afternoon. It does resemble a paddy field in there but there is a nice pick of fresh grass under the hedges. She went to roll but changed her mind, she then trotted over to the school gate which was open, went in there had a good roll on the surface and trotted back out again to resume finding grass. Clever mare !

catkin

Visit site
I had a young horse that never rolled - would watch others rolling but not try it himself - until he was about 8. He became an absolute pro at it from then on, plastered from head to toe including under rugs and sporting a punky hairdo!

Current ponies only roll when the consistency of the mud is Just Right

Lady Jane

Visit site
One of mine never rolls if he will get wet or muddy. Just a shame I had to retire him at 13 yrs. He's the cleanest horse at his retirement livery. shame the others don't copy