Who Does It?

GTs

Visit site
Feed at the tie rail???

I can not stand it, or people who do it!! Your horse should be able to stand still without having to eat! It just leaves a mess, and is unfair on people who want their horses to behave as now their horse is going to try and pick up the left overs.

Skhosu

Visit site
Mine don't for short periods, unless I need to muck out and will give them their feed at their ties for 5 mins. Rarely happens though.
It's not hay, its feed and only my horses so no bother to me.
Mine are well behaved to tie. I do however think that if they have to stand for more than say 25mins for something it is nice to give them a bite to eat.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Always fetch hoss in with bucket because he is a bastard, so if there is any of that left I suppose he dregs the bottoms of it out. But horses IMO should learn to be tied and stood still, and never ever feed outside because I dont like making extra mess for me to clean up, and the horses all get fed at set times, my horses thrive on routine.

madgirl

Visit site
major will stand still!! he usually plays with a brush or someting lol but he will stand there never feed when tied up as it upsets other horses on yard and YO feeds them all the the sam time keeping them in a routine!

jayvee

Visit site
Nope never on the hard feed. Once you start they start looking and get fidget bums!!
only rare occasions will they get a small hay net. Like when after washing them and they are tied up for a while.

Bri

Visit site
Never feed hay on the yard - mainly as I'm too lazy to clean it all up afterwards. Skye will occasionally have her breakfast whilst tied up but only when I need to get her mucked out quickly!

JessPickle

Visit site
Pickle is fed in his stable or in the field.

The only time people do that at my yard is with the oldies, because they dont all have stables and if we fed them in the field all the others would steal there feeds

But never feed hay on the yard way too messy

Theresa_F

Visit site
I will occasionally give a net, but only if they are going to be standing for over 45 minutes, ie I am clipping or preparing for a show.

Otherwise, they can stand quietly until I am ready to put them in their stable where their grub is waiting.

Even Chancer does this - as far as I am concerned they can stay put from a young age.

I totally ignore them if they scrape or move about - they soon learn that bad behaviour will not get them any form of response. If they are being good, I will go over and give them a pat and the occasional carrot as a reward.

teapot

Visit site
Bar the big 4 who are fed twice a day in the field; all the horses at yard are fed on the yard, - only 5 stables so kinda impossible - they are fed when they are brought in for lessons etc

But none of them get feed just to stand still.

ANd yard is swept atleast once if not twice a day anyway

Ginn

Visit site
I will feed while I give madam a quick brush if it coinsides with tea time for the sake of convience (although this doesn't happen that often and she is very very rarely tied while she eats, just munches loose on the yard!) but equally she will stand quite happily for ages without anything in front of her! (Like the 2 hours I waited for the farrier last week!) She doesn't paw the ground and stands like a poppet for however long is necessary. The one thing I cannot abide is impatient rude horses - launching a welly or dandy brush at a pawing leg is something I never hesitate to do which is why madam has never pawed more than twice in the time Ive had her!

Evil ginger beast is another matter entirely! She is so rude that the only food she will get is her dinner in either the field or the stable and a peppermint for very good behaviour! However, although figity she is learning and I only need to look at her if she goes to paw and the leg goes striaght back down!

Each to ones own I guess though...

eekmon

Visit site
I do tie mine up with a net, but he WILL stand tied up with nothing. Usually only give a haynet if it is first thing and I am mucking out. I think all horses should be able to be tied up with out 'creating' for food!

Irishcobs

Visit site
Only ever get haynet if at a show and they have to wait a long time between classes, and they will be in the trailer not tied to the outside. I never give hay when moving in the trailer, same principle as when tied on the yard. I never feed/hay when they are tied. I took over the care of a older mare that had been feed ever time it was tied up, she was a nightmare!

jennystreek

Visit site
My horses take ages to eat their breakfast, so sometimes have to move them to the yard to eat (tied up) as need them out stable so i can muck out!! Dont like doing this, but to be honest my main priority at 5.30am is to get done and dusted with the mucking out, so dont want 16 hands of horse getting in my way whilst picking up the poos!
shocked.gif

Takes 30 secs afterwards to sweep up any mess
wink.gif

GTs

Visit site
My horses only ever got fed in the trailer on their trip from CA to CO (4 day trip doing about 14 hours a day), otherwise they did not - why? They didn't need it!

TequilaMist

Visit site
I feed when mare tied up.No other option as on grass livery and mare has major issues in a stable -would literally bite HUGE chunks out of you!!Apart from that she's really quite sweet!!
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
Mine does panic on the trailer for some reason if not with hay.
He sweats up v. badly and throws himself around.
At no other point when tied up does he do this so I give him haylage.
All ours get it and are happy as larry. We can travel the rest fine w/out haylage and tie all up easily!

Tia

Visit site
Mine get nothing when they are tied up. Even the young ones will stand perfectly quietly when tied - I don't get them used to having any foodstuffs when tied, so I don't have them expecting it.

Parkranger

Visit site
I give a net of haylage when travelling only because he kicks the hell out of the trailer! In a box fine, in a trailer he's a nightmare.....