Who else went to see War Horse today?!

starryeyed

Visit site
Just got back from the cinema, what an emotional experience!!! The lights came up and everyone left crying (me included!)
Highly recommend it though, was absolutely amazing with some really good acting and beautiful horses, I was completely glued to it the whole time and am so glad it wasn't a disappointment after reading & loving the book.
Has anyone else seen it yet, what did you think?!

fuzz

Visit site
Me, me me!!!

I loved it. It is my favourite book and I don't think the film could have been any better! Would be going to see it again if I didn't have exams to study for!

Oh and yes, both myself and my sister cried.

Nosey

Visit site
Yes I did. Really lovely & enjoyed it but felt tad Americanised / sanitised in parts. I loved the play & I felt was more realistic than the film surprisingly!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
See, I wasn't as impressed with it.
Found the start too slow and very gushy and unrealistic.
Once they went to war etc, it picked up and the scenes were done well, especially the no-mans land where he was loose and running.
Not as emotional as I expected though.

trottingon

Visit site
I thought it was all a bit too "Hollywood" and gushy throughout. Yes I enjoyed it and yes I cried a few times but I am a particularly emotional person. Best scene was no-mans land, don't worry I won't spoil the story. Was generally a bit too fantasy and unbelievable for me, sorry!

Supertrooper

Visit site
I thought it was slow to start and didn't really get into it until they went to war. I also felt that they moved from some of the scenes too quickly without really explaining what was going on.

I did enjoy it but it wasn't quite as good as I thought it would be. I found the scene with the lads going over the top the most upsetting bit and the barbed wire bit xx

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
I too really enjoyed it, do agree that it was a little slow getting going, but once at war there were some amazing scenes, and I also think when the lads went over the top and no mans land were the best /and most emotional parts.

asmp

Visit site
Saw it last night with the family and all agreed it was good but not as brilliant as the stage show. As others have said, slow to get going but war scenes impressive. Took my tissues but although had a few lumps in my throat, didn't actually cry (but that may be because I now knew the story)

Chavhorse

Visit site
I went to see it with my husband who was fully expecting (and I think dreading!) having a howling snivelling thing sitting next to him like he had when he took me to the National to see the stage play for my Birthday Treat! The curtain call really got me when Topthorn cantered onto the stage for his bow, I howled and howled and kept sobbing through dinner!

Ok Film to be honest I was a little dissapointed, the initial scenes were far too syrupy, got far better when they went to war but the only tear I shed was at the end after the No mans land scene.

Strange thing was that as excellent as the real life horses were somehow the puppets of the stage show were more expressive and vunverable and so more effecting.

However The over the top scene was fabulous and really brought the futility and stupididy of the whole situation.

So good film but not a patch on the stage show.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Meeeeeee! I thought it was really, really fantastic. Sad but heartwarming and I have fallen head over heels for Joey!

Defo recommend going to see it!

Shutterbug

Visit site
I took my daughter and her friend to see it last night - I really enjoyed it and there were mouth covered gasps of horror and shock and tears from the two 12 year old girls next to me. I did shed a small tear of two and had a lump in my throat for a good bit of the movie but I cried when they killed Jaws in the movie when I was a kid so Im a bit emotional about animals dying on screen. :D

leah_x

Visit site
I went and although it was a good film I'm just not really impressed with it. I was expecting a good sob fest, but found myself laughing more than anything! It was all a bit unrealistic to me aswell, maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't so 'horsey'.
But like someone else said, I too have fallen head over heels in love with joey!

superted1989

Visit site
I thought the whole film was beautifully made. Quite a few differences to the book (thankfully, in some parts!). I thought the part,after the first charge and the survivors are being taken prisoner, when they panned back over the battle scene was breathtaking.
I went through 5 tissues, slightly less than when I read the book!

kiritiger

Visit site
Yep, went to see it yesterday. Thought the visuals were pretty fantastic and enjoyed pointing out to my friend that I'd been to the set of Albert's Devon house only a few weeks ago! I too thought that the beginning was a bit mushy though but hey ho. Definitely worth a watch I'd say! :)

pines of rome

Visit site
I thought it was A wonderful film, I liked the start as it gave you the whole story, did have to look away in some bits though and they did make me cry!
It makes you realise the awful suffering these horses really did endure! I loved Joey though, especially as my boy looks so like him!

sakura

Visit site
I watched it last night, I was very impressed. I don't usually rate Spielberg films but this was just a little different, he was much softer with it and it resulted in a beautiful movie

Merlin11

Visit site
Have plucked up the courage to book tickets for tonight. How many hankies do I need? Thought OH was worried about my blubbering but found out he is worried that he will blubber especially as his horse looks a lot like Joey.

foraday

Visit site
Not a patch on the stage show.

Very americanised! The first 50 minutes are not really useful, nor do they strike a chord with you apart from the Goose (now he rocks) and seriously hopes he gets Best Actor!

Did not cry once not like Black Beauty now that is a sob fest!

SamanthaUK

Visit site
Films that make me cry not a good idea. I cry for ages afterwards. I cried when Pat died on Eastenders so never mind a horse.

I really want to watch it. Might by it on dvd and watch it on my own so I don't embarrass myself. :')

muddygreymare

Visit site
Watched it last night too and it was amazing, was in tears basically all the way through! It was beautifully filmed, Spielberg really is a genius :) Have based my college final piece on the story and am now going to do a full blown 8 week project all to do with War Horse, it really inspired me :)

Supertrooper

Visit site
I also didn't really feel the horses, especially joey were that expressive, just didn't really feel that connected to him and I don't know why. Obviously some scenes had been computer generated (thankfully)!

I think what did get to me was that it has happened that the lads going over the top and the horses was all true in our history and therefore the stupidity of war. I think the two scenes that really brought that home was just before they went over the top and when the English and German guy were helping to cut joey free.

I've read the book and loved it and perhaps that's why the film didn't quite get there for me. It was the same with The boy in the striped pyjamas, the horror of the story just doesn't quite make it to the screen xxx