Who hacks out with their dogs?

Dizzle

Visit site
I had my first trip out with my dog today in ages, he used to come round the farm with me at the old yard but got spooked when the pony started napping, he then hid under a tractor refusing to move!

There are some nice fields close to my yard so when I mounted I grabbed the dog and he stood on the front of my saddle to get to the fields, meant he was no where near horse when she thought about napping, did the gate into fields then popped dog on the floor. Despite copious amounts of cocktail sausage launched in his direction he refused to move and threatened to turn tail and go home so I ended up leading dog and horse across to the next field, mount the horse and erm, trotted off and left the dog :D suddenly he clicked and came trotting after me so we all had a lovely canter across the field and then walked home.

Dog was fab on the way home, trotted next to us and went through the gate when asked as I held it open and waited whilst I closed the gate, we walked up the lane to the stables, stopping when asked and even ignored a loose dog he had never seen before.

Very pleased with him trotting besides me and listening to what he was told, very pleased that he will happily sit on the horse with me too.

Going to try and get him out on some decent hacks over the chirstmas break, where I keep my horse the hacking is amazing and there is an excellent ride round the woods that involves one small road crossing (there's also a gate there so I'll dismount and have him on the lead to cross).

I'm so pleased with him, he's 2 next month and is really maturing. It's sad but riding out with my terrier and my horse is a perfect day! :D

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
My lab is a star when she comes hacking with me, she doesn't stand on the front of the saddle as she's a bit too big but she's very good with the horse, only time I do have to be careful is make sure I keep telling her to stay beside me when we're cantering other she runs in front and I worry about her getting under his feet and there being a bit of a pile up!

touchstone

Visit site
I hack out with my two labs, they stay right beside me and sit and stay when told. I wouldn't do it if they weren't impeccably behaved or if 'normal' roads were involved as there is too much to go wrong.

Clodagh

Visit site
My lurcher has stopped now as she is old but she always used to come with me. I loved it, and I think they help a nappy horse as they have extra company. She tended to not come back with me though, if she got a better offer (anything that ran) so we had to stay round the farm.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
There are a couple of people who do round here - and I wish they'd clear up after their ruddy dogs when they crap on my lawn. It's not like they haven't noticed, they stand and wait for the dog to finish and then walk on again.

catembi

Visit site
I used to take my mum's border collie out with me. She was obedience trained & would do exactly what she was told, & loved coming out for a good 8 to 10 mile run at a faster pace than a normal walk.

T x

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Yup, our lab Percy is best mates with Shy - when one has a stick, the other has to as well. When one has a wee or a poo, the other does. They chase each other, and it's as if I'm not even on Shy ! I love the bond they have, and the rides we go on.

Chestnut horse

Visit site
I rode out on my endurance Arab for years with my Labrador dog 'Blue' who listened to every command given to him, would stand in hedgerows when asked, walk on stop etc. He definitely gave my spooky boy lots of confidence. I now have a beautiful white German Shepherd but he is much to excitable to take out, just barks and wonders why my horse has kidnapped me.......lol

kizmund

Visit site
My collie comes out with me and absolutely loves it, I'm lucky in that the yard goes straight on to woodland. She's such a good girl trots in front, stops for a snif and stays close but gives horses plenty of space. She uses horse as barrier for dogs that she doesn't want to say hello to too lol and loves it when they trot or canter, she pegs it in front, waits for horse to catch up and then does it again.

Never done any specific training for it, she's great out and about and is rarely on a lead so thought I'd try it. Had my oh walk with me the first few times to check she gave horse enough space and went from there :)

Molasses

Visit site
i hack out with my collieX rescue who's a treasure, very obedient and loves it
nothing like cantering along and seeing a dog race along beside you with delight on their face
she even gets her own matching high-viz lol
attachment.php

irishdraft

Visit site
I take my two collies down to the beach with me, they absolutley love running along side the horse & keep right up even in a hand gallop for 3/4 mile

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have done with first dog and did with the current dog till his legs started being a problem. One of my liveries hacks out with their dog.

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
I hack with my pointer, he is very well behaved and keeps at the pace i am at with the horse. We have some good places but not if going on roads.He loves to run beside be when canter. My horse is brilliant with the dog and if the dog pops out he doesn't care which helps for when hacking out and bump into a dog.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Fantastic pic "Mollasses". Reminds me so much of my old black mongrel with my old grey pony, gosh we must have hacked halfway round the globe; she was a lovely dog, would just tuck in underneath the pony's tail and I never ever had to tell her to keep in for traffic, I always knew where she was when we were on the roads, then on open ground she's just lollop along beside, those were wonderful, precious years with my lovely loyal dog and pony-in-a-zillion.

Sadly the roads have just got too busy around here; and the two dogs I've got at the moment are totally clueless in traffic. Have tried road-training them, but they seem to have a suicide wish to go into the middle of the road with everything that comes along, plus Terrier seems to want to predict where we're going, and then his one desire is to cavort on at least half a mile in front and then waits till we hove into view to see if he's picked the right direction at road junctions!! Not the best thing he could do for his own safety basically!

There was an awful situation recently not far from here where someone was out riding and had her dog with her, and a local farmer (who is an ignorant git - but please don't think I'm tarring all farmers with the same brush - purrrleeese!!) and he hit the dog (don't think it was deliberate), and the poor dog was lying injured and instead of stopping to help like any decent person would he just said "oh the bl@ddy dog shouldn't have been there in the first place" and just drove on even though the owner was really upset. Thank goodness my neighbour saw her with the dog and DID stop, and I think the dog went to the vet and was OK........... but that really has put me off taking the dogs with me around here.

A pity, as when they did occasionally come, they enjoyed it; but can't take them anymore, would be awful if something happened.

WelshD

Visit site
Id love to take my dog when i walk the pony but fear he would be in the next county by teatime - he doesnt have much of an attention span!

Interesting to see the positive response to this thread considering that when a loose dog thread appears people come down on it like a ton of bricks saying that a dog not on a lead cannot be seen as under control

Personally i dont have strong feelings either way as long as owners pick up the dog mess and are sure their dog is 100% attentive (to them!!)

millikins

Visit site
My standard poodle comes out with me. He is particular friends with the Connie and they wind each other up and race. We have a short bit of road before bridleways and I lead pony and dog, dog tucks himself in front then I get on when we're in the woods.

Kitei

Visit site
Once Harry and I are ready for decent length hacks, we'll be meeting up with my dog and someone at the local forest a few times a week. Ripley, my lab, has yet to meet the horse, but she thrives on long walks at speed, and I'm certain she'd enjoy coming out with us. Will have to get someone to take her there and meet me, though, as wouldn't be comfortable taking her on some of the roads on the route; me and Harry will be hacking there.

pippixox

Visit site
we can hack around some farm land with no roads, so have taken Harvey occasionally, but there are lots of exciting pheasants so he will often run off and then run back to join us a few minutes later! which can spook the horses a little. did once canter up a hill riding my boy, leading my girl, with the dog sprinting ahead!!

vieshot

Visit site
I take my collie with me. She's fantastic. Can ride all up the roads and she will stick to the left of the horse the whole way. Doesn't react to dogs barking at her from their gates, won't chase the cats that dart past etc. She's my one in a million. I have a seven month old whippet who will start coming along in the summer, she won't be going near any roads!

[100855]

Visit site
I hack with my cob mare and 10 year old Labrador every day. My mare is Definitely more confident when the dog comes with us. He trots along beside or just in front of us. When it comes to crossing a road, I lean down (she is 14.3) and clip him onto a lead rope then we ride and lead over the road. Just because there have been a couple of occasions where I haven't been able to get his 100% undivided attention when crossing a road so I figured it was best to clip him on for a few seconds. My Lab is really good at chasing away yappy terriers that come chasing after us on the bridle paths...as our hack route goes round a huge park full of dog walkers. Jack will mumble and growl under his breath and usually that's enough to make them turn around. I think having a dog hacking with you makes horses less spooky as they're used to dogs crashing around in bushes etc it's not so much of an issue when a strange dog does it. I will continue to hack with my Lab until he tells me he doesn't feel like it anymore.My mare seems to know when Jack gets a bit behind and she will wait without me asking her to. If we have a good blast she will stand stock still until Jack has caught up as he does run with us but sometimes nice smells distract him. If I whistle the dog, my horse will stop. I guess she is just used to it... I feel very lucky that they are both absolute saints and seem to enjoy our outings together.

Clava

Visit site
Having witnessed a dog run over by a car when the owner was riding passed my house, I would never ride out with a dog. It was horrific.

buddy's mummy

Visit site
I take my gorgeous german shepherd with me but only on very quiet country lanes or green lanes/fields, no matter how well behaved my doggie is I wouldnt go on a busier road cos I dont trust cars and people..although would trust my dog with my life......he is very good boy, I dont take him far now though as he has hip dysplacia...

Last edited:

buddy's mummy

Visit site
I hack with my cob mare and 10 year old Labrador every day. My mare is Definitely more confident when the dog comes with us. He trots along beside or just in front of us. When it comes to crossing a road, I lean down (she is 14.3) and clip him onto a lead rope then we ride and lead over the road. Just because there have been a couple of occasions where I haven't been able to get his 100% undivided attention when crossing a road so I figured it was best to clip him on for a few seconds. My Lab is really good at chasing away yappy terriers that come chasing after us on the bridle paths...as our hack route goes round a huge park full of dog walkers. Jack will mumble and growl under his breath and usually that's enough to make them turn around. I think having a dog hacking with you makes horses less spooky as they're used to dogs crashing around in bushes etc it's not so much of an issue when a strange dog does it. I will continue to hack with my Lab until he tells me he doesn't feel like it anymore.My mare seems to know when Jack gets a bit behind and she will wait without me asking her to. If we have a good blast she will stand stock still until Jack has caught up as he does run with us but sometimes nice smells distract him. If I whistle the dog, my horse will stop. I guess she is just used to it... I feel very lucky that they are both absolute saints and seem to enjoy our outings together.

ahhhh bless!!!

burtie

Visit site
Every time I ride out I take the dog. He loves it and so does the horse! I'm lucky though as I can go for hours with no roadwork!
DSCN2159sm.jpg

Last edited:

pennyturner

Visit site
I don't do it often, but occasionally take out my setter. She's good with voice commands, and ca be relied on to sit, halt etc no matter what. She goes out with me regularly in the carriage. Inside the vehicle or running with us if it's safe. It's a great way of desensitising the ponies as she'll dive in and out of the hedgerows, and they get tired of spooking after a bit.

I'd love to take out my mastiff, but I couldn't stop her enthusiastically greeting anyone we came across, and a loose mastiff bounding up to ramblers etc might give someone a heart attack.

The cavalier is a non-starter. She's an idiot.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Nope, I never do. Just not worth the what if’s , each to their own but I prefer to exercise my dogs separately. I also never let my dogs in beside the horses either although I know many people do and they are fine with each other.

RLS

Visit site
I can't take my dogs with me for a hack as they're a pair of complete HOOLIGANS. lol.
But my friend takes her dogs, which are great, and have been very good for both of my young horses. On Saturday first thing I was out for a hack just myself. Met two separate dog walkers who's dogs ran straight up to my horse barking their heads off and circled 'round him while owner ("oh, Fido's never done that before/ never seen a horse before" !) chased dog trying to catch it. My boy just stood like a rock and waited for the "crazy humans" to sort themselves out! I think unless the dog actually made contact and bit him, he'd just stand there forever looking at the view, and let the dogs run around him like loonies.

Annagain

Visit site
I can't take mine, mainly due to the roads but also because when I have tried to ride at the farm with her, she can't work out what I'm doing on top of the horse and she tries to jump up onto him to be with me. As good as he is with dogs, he's not too keen on that!

My friend takes her dalmation with her who is brilliantly behaved - as soon as they leave the yard anyway.She leads her and the horse off they yard and then gets on as she won't risk her being loose around the chickens.