who has clipped already?

Roxylola

Visit site
Did the cobs 2 weeks ago with a set of coarse blades. I regret not doing them earlier tbh, their summer coats are still pretty heavy and they were both getting really hot working. Still moulting like mad and I'm sure I'll be clipping again soon but theyve been much more comfortable

Sprat

Visit site
Yep, did mine about 3 weeks ago, she was struggling like mad in the heat. Much happier now and wish I had done it sooner

Emilieu

Visit site
My first summer with a cob, I clipped her three weeks ago with a course blade and I was so glad I did. The final straw was when she came in from the field sweating, before we even started work.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Im psyching myself up to hopefully try and do H tomorrow. As long as I can get ear plugs in (tied into an old sock as last time I used cotton wool he went round with it still in for a week as he wouldn't let me remove it...) I should be able to get most the way up to his head if not he will have to look a bit silly.

He's booked in for the vet for cushings yearly test and sedation for the dentist end of October so I'll re clip then while he's heavily drugged.

I start my new job next week and can only be off during the school holidays so I dont think he will last til October although he currently only has summer coat he has cushings, plus yo has a riding school and their weekends are the busiest days so it's inconvenient for them for me to clip at weekends so I'm taking advantage of being off on one of their closed days

If i had a sane horse (i envy those who say they can clip the horse loose and it falls asleep) id love clipping but dread the lead up as I never know if he will play ball and I always worry the clippers or power will die mid clip as I use corded ones

Pippity

Visit site
I'm planning on clipping after the next farrier visit. (She gets vet sedation for the farrier, and while she can be clipped completely sober, it's just easier to do the fiddly bits while she's still woozy.) She came back sweaty from a four-mile plod last night, and she's already looking distinctly woolly.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Nope and I'm hoping I can do another winter without clipping and save myself the complete faff of rugging. However, I think with working from home for the foreseeable future I might ride more than I did last winter. Even so, I don't think I will look to clip until the weather really turns in January!

sherry90

Visit site
I’m trying to hold off until end of September but will see how he goes. The last few days have been cooler and he’s hardly sweating as he’s quite fit but if the temps come up again he will start to sweat ? in hindsight should have clipped him for camp when it was stupid hot, his coats come through even more since then, but I’m playing ignorant for now!

Green Bean

Visit site
My mare is shedding loads which I thought was far too early, but reading all of this, a clip is in her future. She is slowly coming off box rest so I should be able put it off until end September. Good idea about planning it around sedation. She needs the dentist soon so needs sedation then. I may well start clipping up her neck while she is sedated, normally I can only get halfway up her neck!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I used to clip Millie on the august bank holiday each year... fortunately the current ridden ones have the good sense to keep their summer coats a bit longer (though K is moulting :rolleyes:) probably got another 4-6 weeks of denial :)

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
All booked for this Friday .... However he was clipped out earlier in the summer too as otherwise he's a hot, hairy cob - much more comfortable with hair off. We've shortened his mane a bit to let some air in underneath and make it easier to plait.
Hoping that the clip on Friday will give him some oomph for BD Advanced Medium on Saturday - entry just gone in too!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
One was done three is weeks ago as he was getting heat bumps and scabby. The other one will be done when he needs it, which is normally october time.

Surbie

Visit site
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! I am holding out till October if I can. Though cobbus is easy as pie to clip and I have removed his beard recently.

Really sympathise with those of you who have difficult ones to clip.

Last edited:

IamMe

Visit site
Yep, my cob mare is a sweaty Betty so clipped all year and my boy is old and has Cushing's so he's clipped every 8 weeks year round too

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I'm still in total denial that summer is over so I'm just going to ignore those of you that are already clipping :p

I tend to hold out til October if I can help it, although I'm somewhat excited to try out my new clippers that I got in the sale at the start of lockdown so might end up clipping a little earlier if M looks like he needs it.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Already done two clips, 4 weeks apart. Also a hairy cob, though. I use 3 mm blades, so I can still rug minimally. I've started doing an Irish but with the whole neck off. Slowly morphing into a blanket clip!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I clipped today. H was not amused! He wouldn't let me put ear plugs in. Thought I was going to end up with just his body off, legs, neck and chest on!
Fortunately by the end i managed to get halfway up his neck and the rest of a hunter clip done so he looks a little more respectable. Legs are on also no way was I going there.
Can't wait til he's drunk for the dentist end of October and I can take everything off bar legs and half a head and it not look like I'm terrible at clipping!

Michen

Visit site
Yep. On second clip now for the one whose hunting but clipped the rehab one when it was super hot, he will get clipped again when he’s actually flufffy