who has their horse microchipped?

Malibu

Visit site
just wondered who has their horse micro-chipped, we have them on all the dogs but we find that sometimes the chip moves and so has to be removed and replaced, do you find that happen with horses?

brightmount

Visit site
I have my horses and my dogs microchipped. I haven't found they fail - it would be a bit disastrous if a microchip failed when you have your dog in France for example, as you only have a 24-hour window to get back into England after the veterinary appointment you have to make for tick treatment.

One of my horses has an Irish microchip (you can make up your own jokes) that doesn't work on every reader.

I had my mare micro-chipped about two years ago and you wouldn't know it was there - has never caused a problem!! I was worried that it would move etc because putting it in wasn't exactly simple......
My horse is infamous with the vets, she turns to the devil when she sees them. Her reaction to having a normal jab is VERY bad so when they microchipped her she kept rearing everytime they were about to put it in and just generally throwing herself around and lashing out with her front legs, so the vet didn't get the precision they aim for!!

Jemayni

Visit site
Both mine are. I had Sky done as it was free if I had his teeth and vaccine done at the same time (terrible isn't it!) I had Chance done because the vet put me under the impression that your horse needed to be microchipped to obtain a passport for it, dont know if this is right though because it was when the whole passport thing was rather confunsing

Think your vet took advantage of the fact that you were confused and made a quick buck!!

Malibu

Visit site
i would like to get ru microchipped but just wondering about it moving as more complicated for horses than dogs, will speak to my vet- thanks all for help!

Malibu

Visit site
well is a dog's microchip oves you can simply take it to the vet can get it removed- they are smaller animals and normally less complications but you cannot restriain a horse, bigger animal if something goes wrong.

Bert&Maud

Visit site
It cost about £50 3 years ago when I had mine done. It doesn't seem to have caused any problems. The vet visit is probably as expensive as the actual microchipping, perhaps you could tie it in with vaccinations etc?

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
£50 they saw you coming a mile off about £19 for me with a routine call out, it kinda hurts them a bit with horses as they have to wedge it in muscle to stop it moving, my foal was due to be done on fri with vaccinations but forgot the scanner so will get it done in 6 weeks with his booster, he only has a little neck at the mo , he will be proper kebab skewered !!! poor mite

the watcher

Visit site
I have heard of chips in horses moving, was told the story of one that was actually travelling down a horse's leg.

Microchipping has to an extent taken over from freezemarking and my one objection to that is that it is not the same visible deterrent that can be read by anybody

michb52

Visit site
All mine done as foals by the vet when their marking sheets are done for the IHB passports. For registration with SJAI all animals have to be micro chipped. Never had a problem with them moving so far.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Microchips can move and in some cases become absorbed. The other issue with microchips is that there are about 6 different systems the reader of each does not read the others. This creates a problem as one can not identify that the horse has been micro-chipped.

If this is for the purpose of identifying your horse in the event of theft or straying then freezemarking on the shoulder is far more effective as anyone can read the mark.