Who is in charge you or your horse?

debsey1

Visit site
When hacking out alone my Cob is very happy and confident because I am confident too even when we have a spooky moment. I keep calm and kick him on through what ever has spooked him then giving him praise. I am in charge he gains his confidence from me his leader.

Others I know, will only ever hack out in company as their horses don't like riding out alone so who's in charge here?

At a Monty Roberts show a woman told him that her horse doesn't like hacking out alone, he looked at her and said " Well he's not alone is he, he has you"! That comment has stuck with me for years.

What do you think?

kerrieberry2

Visit site
well I suppose when you put it like that my horse must be in charge! i only ever hack alone but this is because she is too much of a nightmare in company! jogs the whole time, tanks off and pretty much just stresses the whole time! so its easier for me to hack alone!?!?

Mrs B

Visit site
I am. Right up until he shines his eyes at me, puts on his prettiest face and asks for an apple.:D

Littlelegs

Visit site
I would say that in the past, & with every horse or pony I have ridden as an older teen & adult it was me. Or at least me with the occasional disagreement at first. However with my 23yr old, who I've had since she was 2, its becoming increasingly blurred. Because she's so good, she's earnt the right to misbehave with me sometimes. And I think really with her I wasn't ever really in charge, once we understood each other it was a case of me asking & her choosing to please me. More a case of us both being equal really now. She'd never ignore even the smallest aid, so if she decides she wants to be a prat on occasion I don't object.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I don't think any rider is ever truly in charge. Sitting astride a powerful horse, the rider can only influence and suggest.
Its the horse's co operative nature that allows us to delude ourselves sometimes.

I had a very honest and fun mare once who didn't believe in delusion. :D

Waffles

Visit site
Me and my horse are 50%/50% I reckon - that's the way I want it. If he's a bit scared of something like massive traffic (he's fairly new to traffic) I don't praise him as I expect him not to be scared of it, so he might think I'm praising him for being a bit scared..... Also, if he does occasionally spook at other stuff (he doesn't much, to be fair) I just ignore it. Sometimes he stands there halfway round a hack in an "ok, I've had enough now" but I always win after a couple of squeezes/rein opening etc. Sounds like I'm in charge, but I want my horse to feel it's a pretty equal relationship.

LollyDolly

Visit site
I work more on a partnership basis, I will take my horses views/opinions on board however I do have the final say. There are times though when I let the horse take charge, this being when we are going up/down a steep hill or if we are going over rocky/uneven/tall grassed terrain. This is because I feel that they are better apt at sorting themselves out and finding their footing as oppose to me trying to tell them where to go, I just give them the reins a bit so that they can have a good look and let them get on with it. It's worked a treat for me so far, probably because they can judge the ground a bit better as they are walking on it whilst I am sat atop them like the Queen of Sheba :D

dafthoss

Visit site
Well I decide to ride, what we do, where we go, when we compete, what we jump, what speed we go so in that respect its me calling the shots. He tries to take charge some times out hacking alone with a spook/nap/spin at which point I take control. But we help each other out most of the time as a partnership, I try not to hinder him and I hope he will help me out when we get it wrong and ask him to trust me on things he isnt sure of and most of the time it works.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I don't think any rider is ever truly in charge. Sitting astride a powerful horse, the rider can only influence and suggest.
Its the horse's co operative nature that allows us to delude ourselves sometimes.

I had a very honest and fun mare once who didn't believe in delusion. :D

This :D

My New Forest is the most geniune I have come across - but he is not backwards in coming forwards in his opinions. Other people have struggled with him with his attitude, but he is great fun - and has never let me down when it counts, which is the most important thing for me :)

ClassicG&T

Visit site
I get on with my pony, we are both in charge of eachother. We are a partnership, a friendship.

With my new 4y/o though, i am in charge until he gets his ground work sorted and we can get rid of a few habbits and get manners. But we will build a partnership.

Someone at the yard was saying to me (about her 5 y/o)
"(horses name) wouldn't dare do anything cos she is terrified of me".
I do not think any horse should be terrified of someone.

asommerville

Visit site
Mmmmm thought i was until maddy horse got totally over exited on the way home from a hack as she was 'chasing' a white van and literally started cantering after it!!!! goodness knows what planet shes on!!

Allie5

Visit site
I have two youngsters (2 +3) so I am in charge at this point. I am herd leader and educator. I expect them to follow me when I ask them to although I allow them to have a personality and voice their opinions (so to speak!) At the end of the day at this stage I do know better than them and its my job to lead. As to hacking alone? When we get to that stage the original quote stands the horse isn't hacking alone its with me! As herd leader its my job to get us home safe!

WestCoast

Visit site
Reminds me a bit of my hack on Sunday. Riding school horse strong as a train at canter. Spent first half of ride patiently getting him to listen to me. But then discovered that if I just gave him his head he was as good as gold. He's got a lot more experience of that hack than me. :)