Who is trying to sell a horse/s at the moment? And who is buying?!

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
As title... are anyone elses horses just not selling? My big coloured is away to be sold, ad been up a week and I don't think they have had many enquiries about her at all. Is anyone else finding this?

Who is buying at the moment? Is anyone!??

galaxy

Visit site
Yup. 15hh 5yr old sports horse. advertised locally for a week... Nothing

Went on H&H webiste last Mon, in mag this Thurs

Had 1 promising email, but they are away until end of month!! argh!! (she's on selling livery too, so makes it even worse them hanging around!)

Yard she's at has been dead the last 3 weeks. Usually sell several a week.

Walrus

Visit site
Is this your mare you got in February? (am I thinking of the right person?!)

I know the market is quite slow at the moment from friends who are watching it. Not much is moving and prices are quite low I think. Sorry.

lilly1

Visit site
One of mine has sold. Had nothing for three weeks then sells to the first person who enquires about him (after having negotiated quite a bit on price!). Followed by about five phone calls in one weekend. Sods law i guess. So horses are selling but with autumn approaching and all this talk of rocketing hay prices people are looking for a bargain.

Umbongo

Visit site
I've been looking to buy since May time. I can't find anything that I want to even go and see let alone buy :( There were plenty of horses I wanted when I was doing exams but thought I would wait...sods law!

I am in Somerset and have seen plenty of nice horses advertised up north however traveling further than the south west will greatly reduce my already limited budget :(

galaxy

Visit site
Me too! I am a mare person but all I can find are geldings! I am in no rush either as I am looking for my forever horse.

Mines a mare! One person visited the yard she's at and flat out said no mares. Shame as Lucy was perfect and genuinely has not mareish bone in her body!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I'm selling a nice, genuine allrounder mare ;) Well, she isn't advertised yet, no point advertising her yet as we are going on holiday on saturday for a week.

DollyCoblet

Visit site
Yep, I have 2 advertised one 16.2hh dressage/sj type just started schooling and showing promise, and a 15.2hh full up coloured gypsy cob safe as houses, both very resonably priced, both advertised on well known sites and had absolutly nothing.
Had the 16.2hh on the market earlier on in the year before I removed her from sale due to wanting to keep her I had about 8 calls a week plus emails and 4 people viewed her.
Guess it's just the time of year, am lucky and have my own land so if they dont sell will just do indoor stuff over winter, feel for you guy's with your horses at selling livery.

dope-on-a-rope:)

Visit site
what would 'a nice allrounder' go for at the minute do you think?!! Know it depends on type age, etc. But roughly.....trying to decide if my friend has priced her horse right for the current market...am I allowed to ask that??!:confused:

star

Visit site
i'm looking for a new horse - good allrounder type, pref to have hunted and proved vaguely sane with a hint of brakes. willing to jump coloured poles and do a bit of flatwork. somewhere around 16hh, must be a gelding. not found much to even go and view yet, let alone buy.

Umbongo

Visit site
i'm looking for a new horse - good allrounder type, pref to have hunted and proved vaguely sane with a hint of brakes. willing to jump coloured poles and do a bit of flatwork. somewhere around 16hh, must be a gelding. not found much to even go and view yet, let alone buy.

Same but I am looking for a mare. Something that I can do a bit of all rounder stuff on and is reasonably sensible, don't mind a few quirks and mareish behaviour, pref a nice middleweight type. But all I can find are Thoroughbred geldings!

alpha1

Visit site
I'm looking for a quiet unbacked/just backed 3yo 16.2hh + and can I find something with a leg in each corner for sensible money...not a chance!

Prices are ridiculous!

DiamondSR

Visit site
My boy needs to go back on the market and I am concerned about the lack of selling at the moment. I had him on the market earlier in the year and had loads of interest - far more than I expected as everyone said the market was slow. I decided to keep him in the end but my circumstances have changed now so I really need to sell, which going into the winter I suspect will be a nightmare.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
Buying! I have to wait until September before I can buy, so I'll start viewing in about 3 weeks time! I'm so excited!

I'll be looking for a really genuine allrounder 16 - 16.3hh, preferably gelding, 6 -12 yrs, who's happy to do local riding club events and unaff dressage, and is easy to take out in my trailer on my own, and also be sensible to hunt. My main criteria is that it must not buck or rear, hacks alone and is sound.

I've already got a very ''challenging'' thoroughbred who I will be keeping, and I'm going to make very sure I don't end up with another horse with unpleasant quirks.

Last edited:

Walrus

Visit site
galaxy- yes mines on sales livery too :/ Makes it expensive when they don't shift.

Walrus- Yes that's the one. Change of circumstances amongst other things means I cannot keep her. :(

Aww, that's a shame. I remember her cos you got her the same day I got my boy. Hope it works out.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I'm looking for a quiet unbacked/just backed 3yo 16.2hh + and can I find something with a leg in each corner for sensible money...not a chance!

Prices are ridiculous!

'Sensible' from whose point of view? What do you think of as 'ridiculous'? I have a couple of home-breds to make that size, either just-backed and hacking quietly or in the process of being backed. But they cost to GET to that stage. When you consider that it costs at LEAST £2,000 to get that sort of youngster to weaning, you keep it for another 3 years, and then put in time and money backing it properly, it HAS to be priced at £4,500+ or the breeder is losing money (as opposed to just not making anything on 4 years work and investment!)

Fortunately, I'm finding my backed and riding quietly 3-4 year olds ARE selling - at prices that just about allow me to break even! It's the younger ones who are 'sticking' - very few people re buying yearlings and 2 year olds - and if youhave to run them ALL on, you end up with a lot of horses and huge haylage bills!

wellsat

Visit site
So sorry to hear that you're having to sell. I do have one friend who has bought recently but he was a real bargain to snap up and I'm guessing you're looking for a decent price.

Paddydou

Visit site
I am reluctantly looking to buy.

I don't really want to yet (which isn't helpful to sellers I know!) and have only phoned up about 1 horse which really took my fancy. Fitted the bill except was a little bit smaller than my "ideal"... Woman didn't even bother to return my call or email though!

I guess I will start to get serious about looking in about a year - 2 years time when the old boy goes. I don't really relish the stress of horse buying so I am putting it off as long as I can but keeping an eye out just in case something special comes up. Also I would really (really) like to be debt free and not have to take out a loan and buy with money in my pocket instead. The extra time gives me a little lea way for that so I am sitting as long as I can before I do anything.

I prefer geldings (as the rest of them are) but the only ones I have seen that I like the look of recently are mares so I haven't called or done anything about it. One of mine gets silly around mares so I would rather not have to deal with a love sick shetland when ever I go out for a ride!

I guess I am making excuses not to purely because I hate buying so much! Its not the parting with the money its the whole emotional roller coaster thing and constantly meeting new people, new horses, having to ride horses that you don't know. I swear its easier to get married than buy a horse!

Faithkat

Visit site
'Sensible' from whose point of view? What do you think of as 'ridiculous'? I have a couple of home-breds to make that size, either just-backed and hacking quietly or in the process of being backed. But they cost to GET to that stage. When you consider that it costs at LEAST £2,000 to get that sort of youngster to weaning, you keep it for another 3 years, and then put in time and money backing it properly, it HAS to be priced at £4,500+ or the breeder is losing money (as opposed to just not making anything on 4 years work and investment!)

Fortunately, I'm finding my backed and riding quietly 3-4 year olds ARE selling - at prices that just about allow me to break even! It's the younger ones who are 'sticking' - very few people re buying yearlings and 2 year olds - and if youhave to run them ALL on, you end up with a lot of horses and huge haylage bills!

Oh, well said! I get fed up with people expecting to buy at the sort of price that a foal costs before it is even born. It's cheering to hear that 3 year olds are selling though. I'm going to start advertising mine as soon as she has been backed (soon)

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I am selling a smart hunter. He's been advertised for quite a while but people haven't really been looking. Obviously they are now because we had 3 calls on Saturday and 2 of those are coming to see him. Fingers crossed!!