Who knows about hoof boots?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Yes, there are ones that fit well and don't rub.

Its a bit like saddles, in that a make that fits one horse well won't necessarily work for another due to hoof shape and action. It also depends on the type of work done and on what surfaces and whether the hooves are likely to be changing a lot (recently removed shoes / start of a rehab) or are fairly settled. Another consideration is if you want to use pads inside them (needed for very thin soles or poor frogs) and how easy you need the fitting to be (i.e. how good your horse is about you messing with his feet and if you have a bad back) .

Some online shops do a recommendation service if you send them photos and measurements, also a "hire before you buy" service and fit kits. Another option is buying secondhand as if not worn too much they will often retain their value so you can experiment without wasting too much money. Also some trimmers stock and fit boots.

TPO

Visit site
Is there some online info as to how an owner could do accurate measurements?

Theres details on the websites (hoof boutique, the Saddlery shop, equine podiatry supplies and Urban Horse are good start points).

I've only ever spoken to The Saddlery Shop so have no comparison but they were extremely helpful so worth giving them a call to discuss possible options too

Illusion100

Visit site
Yes, there are ones that fit well and don't rub.

Its a bit like saddles, in that a make that fits one horse well won't necessarily work for another due to hoof shape and action. It also depends on the type of work done and on what surfaces and whether the hooves are likely to be changing a lot (recently removed shoes / start of a rehab) or are fairly settled. Another consideration is if you want to use pads inside them (needed for very thin soles or poor frogs) and how easy you need the fitting to be (i.e. how good your horse is about you messing with his feet and if you have a bad back) .

Some online shops do a recommendation service if you send them photos and measurements, also a "hire before you buy" service and fit kits. Another option is buying secondhand as if not worn too much they will often retain their value so you can experiment without wasting too much money. Also some trimmers stock and fit boots.

Truth is, another horse and mine have recently been moved to another yard. Both had a trim sat aft and the TB is very freely on his fronts. Mine is also pecking a little since trim on stony ground.

I'm hoping that farrier just trimmed them a little to short and the issue will resolve with both horses, but a back up plan that doesn't involve front shoes doesn't hurt.

Thanks for all of your info, much appreciated.

Reactions: Kat

Illusion100

Visit site
Theres details on the websites (hoof boutique, the Saddlery shop, equine podiatry supplies and Urban Horse are good start points).

I've only ever spoken to The Saddlery Shop so have no comparison but they were extremely helpful so worth giving them a call to discuss possible options too

Thanks, appreciate the help.

Reactions: TPO

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site

Illusion100

Visit site

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Also, is Keratex still one of the recommended hoof/sole hardeners?

I'm not a fan of Keratex, sadly I'm not convinced anything you paint on much helps with toughening the sole (unless there's any infection present) .

I have used Hoof Armour successfully on a horse with a compromised sole after an injury but its not cheap, especially the first time as you need the applicator.

millikins

Visit site
I sent pictures to Hoofboutique, my first try wasn't good enough and LH sent instructions of exactly where I should measure. I have a connie in Easiboot trails, I find these a faff to put on but they fit really well and he's on his second pair. Shettie X drove in Equine fusions, again never rubbed or slipped and the Dales mare has a pair of Scoots though she is happier with shoes. I'm really pleased with them although none of mine are in hard work, even my very pro shoe farrier is coming round to the idea

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I found Urban Horse https://www.urbanhorse.com/
extremely helpful in finding the right ones for ours .
I hired a fit kit to be sure, and have ended up with a perfect fit.
I second them - and also hired a fitkit for Scoots. If you are anywhere close to the sizes advised (foolproof 'how to measure' photos also given) I'd advise hire shells and give them a good go. I have three Scooters and one is a TB who they said (Scoot themselves) that he wasn't suitable. Well, he is!

As for the insoles - make them yourself from yoga matting or a decent carpet offcut or carpet tile.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I 100% recommend taking measurements (after a trime) & sending to Hoof Bootique or Urban Horse.

They recommended Cavallo Treks which we've had no issues with on the occasions I've needed to use them.

I've also had good success with Red Horse Stronghorn spray too, which is a daily application, rather than Hoof Armour.

If they are footy for a bit longer (or on and off), it might so be worth looking at diet and other factors causing it. For mine, being 'just a bit footy' was an early warning sign of LGL.

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
I tried a Flex Boot on my boy yesterday. He usually wears Viper Renegades all round but I wanted a more flexible front boot and was really impressed with them. Easy to put on and take off and I am seriously tempted, my only concern is they aren't as hardwearing as The Vipers.

on the one side they are also not as expensive, £160 a pair v £212. They have a coloured strap/gaiter as standard which would be a great help against black vipers (unless one ordered coloured ones) The replacement shells for flex are £55. No more velcro.

I too am looking at the flex (going from gloves) I was going to go for vipers or classics if the vipers don't fit. Hate the velcro but with the exception of scoots renegades are the only ones I have found with traction.

The gloves don't have sufficient grip on our ground in the wet. Looking at the soles of the flex they seem very similar to gloves and I wonder if they wear quickly if they will soon lose grip on sticky ground.
I too am seriously tempted. Do you have any thoughts about the grip on the flex?. (I have never seen one)

PurBee

Visit site
For riding, i’d now personally go with a hoof boot design that is fairly slim-line rather than ‘trainers’ type design.

I say this as i have the trainers type…forget the name, sorry! Brain is splat today!…..but they are abit ‘clumpy’ on my mare, which is fine for her for the use i have them for, but recently decided for riding, a slimmer style would suit better.

The trainers are very thick and supportive, so great for hoof support.

There are some designs now that are like a cup shoe that fits mainly over the front hoof wall,(less heel rubbing risk) with ankle straps.

Tarragon

Visit site
I use glove back country with my two ponies, and they have been fine. They have never moved or rubbed when used, even when brand new, BUT they have only been used occasionally as the ponies feet have been good enough to not bother with any boots for most occasions. I have had to replace the velcro on my older pair but that was easy to do.
The comment about the tread is interesting. I don't think that mine have had the miles to wear the tread down, even the older pair (as in 5 years old) still look good. I have taken on a loan pony at short notice who is barefoot but really needs to wear the boots for any serious riding until I can improve her feet. I wonder which is going to wear out first, the tread or the velcro, and how quickly?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
on the one side they are also not as expensive, £160 a pair v £212. They have a coloured strap/gaiter as standard which would be a great help against black vipers (unless one ordered coloured ones) The replacement shells for flex are £55. No more velcro.

I too am looking at the flex (going from gloves) I was going to go for vipers or classics if the vipers don't fit. Hate the velcro but with the exception of scoots renegades are the only ones I have found with traction.

The gloves don't have sufficient grip on our ground in the wet. Looking at the soles of the flex they seem very similar to gloves and I wonder if they wear quickly if they will soon lose grip on sticky ground.
I too am seriously tempted. Do you have any thoughts about the grip on the flex?. (I have never seen one)

They feel very very grippy compared to the Vipers and I don’t think they would lose their traction or go smooth with wearing down. I like the fact the whole boot will flex with the foot which has got to be a good thing and the price is a big bonus. The breakover is comparable with the Vipers and the fixings are far easier to negotiate, no more Velcro which needs to be washed and dried after every muddy ride. Shape wise DP wears 125x120 in Vipers and the 120 Flex boots fitted his feet perfectly so I would say they are a match for the Vipers. I think I am going to get them but will keep Vipers on the back for now to see how we get on. Everyone I know who has switched over are impressed its just going from tried and tested to the unknown for me.

paddy555

Visit site
They feel very very grippy compared to the Vipers and I don’t think they would lose their traction or go smooth with wearing down. I like the fact the whole boot will flex with the foot which has got to be a good thing and the price is a big bonus. The breakover is comparable with the Vipers and the fixings are far easier to negotiate, no more Velcro which needs to be washed and dried after every muddy ride. Shape wise DP wears 125x120 in Vipers and the 120 Flex boots fitted his feet perfectly so I would say they are a match for the Vipers. I think I am going to get them but will keep Vipers on the back for now to see how we get on. Everyone I know who has switched over are impressed its just going from tried and tested to the unknown for me.
thanks, yes it's the great unknown for me as well. :)

not having to thread the velcro through those loops and no more washing the velcro. What to do with all that spare time. :p

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Urban horse are fantastic!

I sent my photos & measurements which then came back with recommendations for both. After having a fit kit for the scoots, my youngster is very happy in his pair of them & my cob has a pair of equine fusions! Neither rub & both stay put. Scoots are lovely & slim line for faster work (the Cavellos I tried on him were like clogs due to him being close infront). The fusions are fab for my cob currently transitioning to barefoot so needing more cushioning & he's in very very light work - once he's grown his nail holes out & hardened up etc I'll get him scoots too.

Reacher

Visit site
I tried a Flex Boot on my boy yesterday. He usually wears Viper Renegades all round but I wanted a more flexible front boot and was really impressed with them. Easy to put on and take off and I am seriously tempted, my only concern is they aren't as hardwearing as The Vipers.
I hadn’t come across these before - they look rather neat as an alternative to renegades.

thanks, yes it's the great unknown for me as well. :)

not having to thread the velcro through those loops and no more washing the velcro. What to do with all that spare time. :p
As well as this I now have to replace all the bleeding cables @ £12 each - as one snapped and the rest are worn - 2 per boot, 4 boots, ?

paddy555

Visit site
I hadn’t come across these before - they look rather neat as an alternative to renegades.

As well as this I now have to replace all the bleeding cables @ £12 each - as one snapped and the rest are worn - 2 per boot, 4 boots, ?

so you won't have to replace the cable clamps as well?:D:D:D:D:D

it is not the cost so much as the threat of divorce when I put them on the table and say the wire's broken. Then he moans he cannot get the cable clamp to move out. Then he just moans full stop about them!
The cost of parts for renegades is just ridiculous.

I'm going to seriously look at the flex.

Can anyone on here compare the grip of the flex on mud to any other boot?