Who knows about hoof boots?

Reacher

Visit site
so you won't have to replace the cable clamps as well?:D:D:D:D:D

it is not the cost so much as the threat of divorce when I put them on the table and say the wire's broken. Then he moans he cannot get the cable clamp to move out. Then he just moans full stop about them!
The cost of parts for renegades is just ridiculous.

I'm going to seriously look at the flex.

Can anyone on here compare the grip of the flex on mud to any other boot?
Oh no, will I have to replace the clamps too? ?? I knew it was going to be a right PITA!
I’d be interested to know about the flex’s grip too in mud

paddy555

Visit site
Oh no, will I have to replace the clamps too? ?? I knew it was going to be a right PITA!
I’d be interested to know about the flex’s grip too in mud

clamps if you need them £11.95 each (gold plated of course) and spare screws for securing the cable in the clamp £4.60

only trying to be helpful :p:p:p:p

when we got to that stage and OH lost the will to live and I lost the will to pay for it we used these. We happened to have some and many people probably will. I'm sure you can beg a couple off a friend.

we used the small size I believe and connected the cable through it and then broke off the plastic. It did many hundreds of miles and it was FREE. Not a word often mentioned with renegade spare parts. ;)

https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-white-30a-12-way-cable-connector-strip-pack-of-5/178063_BQ.prd

Illusion100

Visit site
Well mine is doing great, just pecks the odd time over some larger stones on an otherwise flat surface but otherwise grand.

Friends TB is better, but not back to normal. When leading him it's quite clear it's the heels/frog/sole taking the weight and not the hoof walls.

I definitely think (or hope) they were just trimmed too far back by farrier.

I'll definitely be showing friend all the great advice provided about hoof boots etc, so thanks for the help!

Reacher

Visit site
clamps if you need them £11.95 each (gold plated of course) and spare screws for securing the cable in the clamp £4.60

only trying to be helpful :p:p:p:p

when we got to that stage and OH lost the will to live and I lost the will to pay for it we used these. We happened to have some and many people probably will. I'm sure you can beg a couple off a friend.

we used the small size I believe and connected the cable through it and then broke off the plastic. It did many hundreds of miles and it was FREE. Not a word often mentioned with renegade spare parts. ;)

https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-white-30a-12-way-cable-connector-strip-pack-of-5/178063_BQ.prd
Thanks that’s a clever idea.
I’m losing the will to repair them before I even start!

Brownmare

Visit site
thanks. I also found this thread which I had forgotten. Have pm'd Brownmare re the grip so hopefully I will find out more
hoof-boot-people-flex-boots.805617
Thanks for the PM! I haven't been on here for a couple of weeks so I missed this thread. I'm a huge fan of the Flex boots and just recently did 50 miles on the Pennine Bridleway using Flex on the fronts and a combination of Flex and Explora Magics on the hinds. We went on some pretty brutal tracks and didn't slip once. The breakover is better than any other boot I have used and the softer material of the soles gives amazing grip on smooth slippy surfaces. I do have to use tape on her hinds to stop the flex boots twisting (hence the use of Exploras too). I was concerned about how fast they would wear being so much softer but I have done 400km in mine so far and they still have masses of wear left in them. I guess if you were to do lots of trotting on tarmac they might wear faster.

paddy555

Visit site
Thanks for the PM! I haven't been on here for a couple of weeks so I missed this thread. I'm a huge fan of the Flex boots and just recently did 50 miles on the Pennine Bridleway using Flex on the fronts and a combination of Flex and Explora Magics on the hinds. We went on some pretty brutal tracks and didn't slip once. The breakover is better than any other boot I have used and the softer material of the soles gives amazing grip on smooth slippy surfaces. I do have to use tape on her hinds to stop the flex boots twisting (hence the use of Exploras too). I was concerned about how fast they would wear being so much softer but I have done 400km in mine so far and they still have masses of wear left in them. I guess if you were to do lots of trotting on tarmac they might wear faster.

thanks for that. You can guess the next question? tell us more about the explora magics. :D:D easy to put on, wash, any chance of marking the horse etc.

sounds like a good ride on the Pennines. :)

Brownmare

Visit site
thanks for that. You can guess the next question? tell us more about the explora magics. :D:D easy to put on, wash, any chance of marking the horse etc.

sounds like a good ride on the Pennines. :)
Haha! The Explora Magics are almost the polar opposite to flex boots I think. They are very fiddly to set up, with so many options for adjustment plus the option to heat mould them to your horse's hooves for a custom fit. However, once they are set up it is pretty easy to get them on and off and they are relatively hassle free. I got them because my mare has a twisting action on her hinds and I struggle to get any boot to work with that. These are the best so far but do twist a little and I was worried about them rubbing on a longer ride hence bringing the flex boots to swap into. They did rub a tiny bit after about 30 miles which really isn't bad with my delicate mare to be fair as everything rubs her apart from flex boots! Grip I found good but I think I would trust the flex boots more on slippy going. Breakover was also very good especially after heat moulding. The soles are much thicker and more rigid than flex boots so probably better for the very ouchy thin soled types but obviously then gives the horse less proprioceptive feedback so it's horses for courses as always!
I will try and post some pics of our ride but I can never shrink the file sizes enough for this forum! It was amazing though, definitely one to do if you ever get the chance. We plan to do the next section next year all being well.
IMG-20210624-WA0036.jpg

paddy555

Visit site
thanks, Interesting about the hind foot twisting. I have the same. The only solution I have found are easycare epics with up buckles which allow adjustment. Only problem now is that up buckles are no longer made. The exploras sound to be an option.

Now all I have to do is decide on flex gaiter colours.

Lovely pic. I hope you can post some more.

Brownmare

Visit site
thanks, Interesting about the hind foot twisting. I have the same. The only solution I have found are easycare epics with up buckles which allow adjustment. Only problem now is that up buckles are no longer made. The exploras sound to be an option.

Now all I have to do is decide on flex gaiter colours.

Lovely pic. I hope you can post some more.
I would definitely give the Exploras a go then. My current favourite set up is flex in front and exploras behind but I may give Hoof Armor a go this winter on the hinds and see if we can get away without boots now she has actual heels and the NPA issue is fixed. I had Epics for a previous horse but she had very straight movement so it is not something I ever thought of until the current horse who seems to go out of her way to need extra level tlc in all departments ? It's a good job I love her!!
I'm amazed that pic worked! I will see what else I can post up for you...
IMG-20210622-WA0001~2.jpg
IMG-20210624-WA0049.jpg

paddy555

Visit site
oh wow! what photos. Lovely horses and lovely country (I'm originally from Yorks) I'm guessing yours is the bay, is the sheepskin cut and fitted, tied or laid over the saddle which I'm also guessing is a dressage saddle? sorry, just love looking at people's different set ups when they are a bit different.

Did you do a ride that had set b & b points or did you plan your own, camp etc?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry I haven’t read all the replies but when I was doing the barefoot thing the trimmer I used had fit kits for several brands. If you use a trimmer it would definitely be worth asking them as they will have a good idea about what will be good for your horses hoof shape.

Brownmare

Visit site
oh wow! what photos. Lovely horses and lovely country (I'm originally from Yorks) I'm guessing yours is the bay, is the sheepskin cut and fitted, tied or laid over the saddle which I'm also guessing is a dressage saddle? sorry, just love looking at people's different set ups when they are a bit different.

Did you do a ride that had set b & b points or did you plan your own, camp etc?
The saddle is another can of worms lol! It is a Total Contact Saddle, the only one she is remotely happy with! The sheepskin is a full skin folded in half with the saddle over the top of it and seriously comfortable to ride on. Unfortunately the best photo I have of the saddle setup is too big to load up on here.

We were lucky that there were b&bs along the route that had fields for the horses and did a luggage transfer for us so we didn't have to carry so much with us.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I've just emailed Flex. I'm really hoping they fit my boy as they sound like a much better option than clunky cavellos!

paddy555

Visit site
I've just emailed Flex. I'm really hoping they fit my boy as they sound like a much better option than clunky cavellos!

would be interested in your reply, I have just measured 120w and 125/127 long. I am not sure if the flex size on the large or small side.

paddy555

Visit site
The saddle is another can of worms lol! It is a Total Contact Saddle, the only one she is remotely happy with! The sheepskin is a full skin folded in half with the saddle over the top of it and seriously comfortable to ride on. Unfortunately the best photo I have of the saddle setup is too big to load up on here.

my education has been sadly lacking as I have never seen these before so lots of bedtime reading. :D

I'm Dun

Visit site
would be interested in your reply, I have just measured 120w and 125/127 long. I am not sure if the flex size on the large or small side.

Mine are 130w x 135l and 135w x 135l so will be interesting to hear what they say. Typical shod TB feet with long toes and under run heels, improving but a good 4 months to go before the new angle hits the ground